Canadians? Questions on visitation with active alcoholics

Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Canadians? Questions on visitation with active alcoholics

I'm in canada so any canadians please help if you can!

Right now my XAH (we're separated) sees my 2 yr old son for about 2.5 days a week. He is at my x mother-in-law's place when my son visits, so I have been feeling pretty confident in my son's safety. Also, XAH said he wasn't drinking (but not on a program)

Well yesterday I dropped him off for a few hours for father's day and I could smell alcohol on him. I confronted him about it and he didn't says yes or no to whether he'd been drinking. I asked if he was sober (which seems like a really dumb question now) He said yes. I said he is not to drink around our son and he agreed. I asked my XMIL when I saw her separately if she was going to be with them this evening and she said yes.

I left....feeling totally awful and confused about what I should've done, I said I would pick our son up later. After I left I sent the XAH a text saying 'just so you know, if you ever smell like alcohol again for a visit, the visit is over and he stays with me' I didn't get a response.

Now I feel like I shouldn't have left him there at all, but he was all hugging my XAH so tightly and I couldn't bring myself to take him away. Am I horrible? what do I do in future and what can I do? I don't have any extra money, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring lawyers into this if possible. It kills me that I can't know what goes on every second that my son is with him.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Canadians or not...what does your gut tell you..? always feel your gut and do whats right in THAT moment...

I am scared if he was driving a car also?....

YOU have to do what you think is right.....
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe I should have specified that I wonder if anyone knows much about the legal side of visitation in Canada?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending hugs, Pixiegirl. I don't know what the legal side is in Canada, I live in Alaska. However, my attorney during the divorce told me that if AXH ever smells like alcohol or appears to have been drinking, I am well within my rights to cancel the visit, even though his visits are supervised.

I think it'd be a really good question to ask a legal advocate. The company that I work for has an employee assistance program that includes legal help. One hour free to discuss the issue and get advice. With the latest round of issues with XAH, I used it. Would you have something similar available? or free or low-cost legal advocacy programs? Of if you can pull together the fee, there are attorneys who provide unbundled services (assistance on an issue at a set rate or an hourly fee). Perhaps some of our other Canadian F&F will be able to provide additional info.

If you can go that route, pull together a summary of the issue and problems to relay to the advocate, and a bullet point list of questions so you can make the best use of your time.

Here's a question I had to consider long and hard and remind myself over and over of the answer I came up with: TU, Can you trust XSIL or XFIL to watch over DS? Just that part: to make sure your son is safe. I don't trust either of them to understand that their son/brother is an abusive a-- towards the women in his life; or to tell the court if AXH starts drinking again like they were instructed; or to make sure AXH is actually there for the the Daddy-Son visits; or to stop enabling AXH. But I do believe that they will do their best to protect DS. It may not be what I would do to protect DS, but I don't think they would stand idly by and let AXH hurt him - either intentionally while being abusive or accidentally while stumbling drunk. They love their grandson/nephew.

:ghug3
Old 06-19-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I might actually have something through my work - I never thought to look into that