Notices

day 5, but not much better

Old 06-18-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 5, but not much better

5 days since my last drink.
Usually I would be a lot more upbeat by now .
My recent relapse lasted about 2 week.
I lost a lot recently, so I'm sure it's bringing me down. I am thankful to have good support, but things are just so dull and pointless. I feel very hopeless (this is very much unlike me ).
Just trying to talk things out, despair and anxiety is part of the deal, I know... but I'm completely disfunctional. Tried a little work out, but felt like I was going to collapse.
This is horrible.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I can offer no solutions as you are already aware that this is part of getting better.... You have support here. People like me that understand and will listen.

Stay strong. It will certainly pass. Give it time.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate Serious. I fell hopeless quite often, too - but there always seems to be something bright even in the darkest days. It may be a small as a smile from a stranger on the stree - but if you are open and look - I really think you can fnd smething in each day to help you get through.

If you don't than just think of all these great people here that are pulling for you.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay Strong

I am trying to make today my first day without a drink and I want to tell you that I think you are very brave to be trying; I see you've gone 5 days - wow that to me is a great achievement because I'm terrified I won't be able to last that long. i set a goal of 1 full week for myself & I'm already feeling panic.

But I think the good thing is that we all have found this website and I hope that the support and sharing of stories that is here like yours will keep us motivated and will also help us not feel so alone when we see other people feeling down in the dumps too or going through somethign similar that is painful ... I wish you all the best and stay strong ... get out and go for a walk outside if you can - I know the urge to stay in sometimes and feel depressed consumes one to the point of laying in bed or not leaving the house (and honestly this is how I feel today) but I think getting outdoors and getting your focus on stuff going on out and about around you might help. I myself am hoping to muster up the spirit to get outside in a little while and take in some air & hopefully feel a bit better ...

Wishing you all the best on your journey with this!!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're already 5 days ahead of me and Sumbug - and that's a 500% difference - keep it up!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all. This site is truly wonderful and so supportive and helpful.
If my little ramble helps someone out there, then it is already a positive effect albeit a small one.
Recently I got a "thank you" note from a friend who has been alcohol-free for 6+ months, because of our talk (while I was in sobriety for an extended period of time)... he knew he had to stop, but had a big difficulty in doing so.
- Don't you miss a nice, cold beer on a day like this?
- No, as a matter of fact I think sparkling water is way better and you will feel no pain, and no regrets tomorrow.

Wish I listened to my own advice... oh well, I clearly remember how great and amazing my life was when I didn't drink. Today is just a very emotional day for me, thank you for putting a little glimmer of hope in my heart.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on day 1......I have tried and failed before....I am thankful to have found this support system.....I wish all of you the best!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serious View Post
5 days since my last drink.
Usually I would be a lot more upbeat by now .
My recent relapse lasted about 2 week.
I lost a lot recently, so I'm sure it's bringing me down. I am thankful to have good support, but things are just so dull and pointless. I feel very hopeless (this is very much unlike me ).
Just trying to talk things out, despair and anxiety is part of the deal, I know... but I'm completely disfunctional. Tried a little work out, but felt like I was going to collapse.
This is horrible.
You say your 'recent relapse' up above - "If you want what you've never had, then you have to do what you've never done"

Alcohol is a depressant, strangely enough. Withdrawal brings it to the front in spades. I suggest that you go hang around people that are upbeat. Go to a meeting. At least there you are fairly certain that you won't drink and who knows, maybe you'll hear stuff that will start to cheer you up.

I consider myself fortunate. I had a strong sponsor that asked me right at the beginning, if I seriously wanted to get sober and happy. When I answered yes, he then said, "Fine, then you do absolutely everything I tell you, when I tell you, and not until I tell you". I felt so down and out, that I figured it was certainly worth doing. As a result the only time I relapsed was after about 2 weeks when I decided to ignore him, when he said "If you don't want to slip, stay out of slippery places". I learned.

That was March 21, 1978