Notices

1 Month + Update

Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Month + Update

Just wanted to update my journey and what's working for me. After a period of tapering down (a couple of weeks), I entered a 1 month period of abstinence. This worked out very well because I engaged in a few practices that helped (not sure if I can mention them here?). These didn't cost money and were totally doable if you are motivated to do so.

I've now entered into a more health balance in life where alcohol isn't a daily behaviour. This is what I was always striving for. I didn't want alcohol to play such a role in my emotional/coping life. So I focus on health, wellness more now, and doing activities and hobbies outside of work. Many I stopped doing even though I know they made me very happy to do so! And, now I'm creating closer relationships with people, especially since I have much more time freed up.

I just wanted to give people hope that you can find your own path. Don't let people tell you there is only ONE way to do it. Infact, I didn't receive allot of support in this forum for my approach. But IT HAS WORKED! If I listened to the negative I wouldn't have felt empowered to make personal changes and felt stuck. Not good.

Only you will know what will work best, but in a cloud of too much drinking etc. you may not be as clear. So best to be open to advice and ideas so you can determine what will work. If in 'crisis' mode (emotional or physical), clearly this may not work and medical intervention is required. But for the other 80% of us, there are so many options. Stay empowered, positive, take action to change your behaviour, but importantly, create a vision and purpose for your life that will create new possibilities. With this it makes it all worth while. You need something within to want to live for, so search and find that. It's much closer to the surface than you may know!

In short -- its all about fostering HOPE. Keep your hope alive, and stay away from people or groups that don't inspire you.

It is possible and yes, you can have an amazing life.

Blessings to all!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations first of all!

I think its some very good advice. Wellness, living more healthy in general, doing exercise has also been some of the best for me. It's hard not to be happy about it when you compare it to waking up hungover and crawling to the nearest drink.

I believe boredom can be the a very dangerous thing when trying to stay sober. It's one of my biggest enemies. I'm still bored when I'm drunk; I just care less about it.
Also personally it wouldn't work if I started tapering down first and then stopping. But as long as there is no damage done I believe people should do whatever works best for them.

So good work and I hope things will work out for you.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've found a way that works for you Chaikado

D
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Great job! Things sound like they are working well for you!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad it worked for you Chakaido, and sorry you felt you didn't get much support. I think a lot of people here are just vary wary of having any alcohol at all. I know for me having any would be a very slippery slope. But yes, everyone needs to find their own path. Good for you x
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Chakaido)) - Congratulations!! I'm glad you have found something that is working for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks tapering down is a good idea. Last night was my last night drinking, and though I've gone days before without - I already feel antsy. Luckily though, I've already proved that I CAN slow down - so now that means that stopping SHOULD be possible - best of luck to you - you're already getting there!!