Notices

How long and how severe are withdraw symptoms?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long and how severe are withdraw symptoms?

Well it's well into the hours that I would be drinking and I'm not. I've only had one smoke today. I can't believe how bad they taste when I'm not intoxicated.

I'm starting to feel subtle withdraw symptoms...clammy hands, VERY jumpy and and anxious, bad mood swings, anger, nausea, heart raising...I don't have the shakes and I'm not hallucinating. I have seen people trying to quick that do have those symptoms, but they were guys that had to start drinking right when they woke up. I've never been that bad, but I'm scared those symptoms will arrive. They say that you should not withdraw on your own so I'm kind of nervous...

It's so hard. I think I'm going to have a hard time following asleep tonight!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawl symptoms can't be predicted, so it's always best to talk to your dr. If you have any concerns tonight, please go to an ER.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Look up a detox treatment place just in case you need professional help. ER is not the best place for detox. They may not have the drugs and treatment to help you detox the best way. Detox treatment is design just for that and the state can pay for it if you don't have the money. Personal experience.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the symptoms you listed are pretty typical and to be expected. It does vary from person to person, but usually after about 5 days to a week most of the symptoms will go away. Also yes, it is possible to have really bad withdraws causing seizures, though it's fairly uncommon.
In the end though it's best if you are detoxing at home to have someone there with you "just in case"
Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i dont have hallucinations or sweats, i dont physically shake but feel it inside. my main symptoms are panic attacks, anxiety, sleep issues and i jump at the smallest of sounds but iv seeked help before i get to the point of hallucinations and the shakes so even if you dont have evey symptom of withdrawl still seek help. i believe some people may think they might not have withdrawl if they dont shake or have hallucinations as that the worst it can get but i believe anyone with early stages of withdrawl should seek help
Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After you talk to your doc, find a 12 Step meeting, go to it and listen. Then keep going back.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing now EmeraldStorm?

D
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It can be hell on earth.. no sorry, hell in your mind and body.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Crumbs. I hadn't considered that those were withdrawal symptoms.
I remember the day after my last slip up, or was it the second day? I forget. Yes, it was the second day, thinking about it. I was cutting up lard and butter to make pastry for a second batch of apple pies - the first one I'd made while in the middle of a blackout, and while my hands weren't actually shaking, they felt as if they were. Over the next few days, my moods were all over the place. On day 4, I woke up feeling like I'd been drinking, not buzzed, just groggy. And, as it turned out extremely irritable. Oh yes, and there was a pain in my chest that, and at one point my left arm.
I came very close to picking up a drink. If I'd been on my own, I probably would, but realised that it wasn't going to solve anything, so went for fish and chips instead.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not a guy. I did not drink when I got up in the morning. But I did drink regularly every night. My withdrawal symptoms were bad including hallucinations. I did not have heart papitations. These sound dangerous to me. If you feel your chest hurting, I think that's a good time to go to the ER. Knowing what I now know, I would go to the ER to be on the safe side. Better to go and not need to, than to not go and really need to. You will get past the withdrawals. The doctor can help you to do it safely. Take the help. It's all an investment for your future. Best wishes. Sobriety rocks!