Notices

Hello - Day 1

Old 06-17-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello - Day 1

Well for me I suppose I am simply addicted to beer. I have tried quitting several times recently (last 6 months) and always find myself drunk again. So this time I've decided to try something new and sign up for these forums. My main problem seems to be around day 2 up until around day 4 when i start feeling better again i seem to end up at the store buying another 6 pack which can turn into about 24 and a few days of more drinking.

I have attended AA when i was much younger (I am 30 years old), I would prefer not to attend AA and just get back into church, but i don't want to start attending church again until i have been sober at least a few days.

Beer has started affecting my health, and really im just tired of the embarrassment it causes to myself and family etc.

So basically right now i believe if i can just stay sober about 7 days it will take me out of this cycle that i find myself stuck in.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to our family, Coryy. I did the same thing - tried to quit on my own, but always found myself out of control again. I went on for many more years than you, trying to moderate. My life became a disaster. This won't have to happen to you, Coryy! You know what needs to be done - and joining here is going to be a great help. You're no longer alone.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was stuck in a similar cycle - and with beer... coming here daily seemed to change things for me - it helped me admit I really did have a problem.

I hope you will find that same help and support here coryy

D
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

instead of saying beer i guess i should of said alcohol in my first post.. hint hint.

Anyhow i've made it to day 6 today, i havent gone that long away from drinking for what seems like a long time. If i didnt sign up for this site 6 days ago i would of defiantly relapsed on day #4 and continued the cycle, i had a few dollars in my pocket and almost went shopping, but then i convinced myself maybe it was just sugar i needed so i ate some donuts and luckily went to bed.

If i stay sober in the future who knows but i was real happy on day 5 that i didn't have a hang over.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congratulations on 6 days.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Coryy. I too tried to quit on my own for years, and much like you I kept finding myself drunk again and again and again. I am on day 13 and I have been coming here every day during that time. It helps to be among other people who have been where you are at and who you can share with knowing that they are here to support and help you. Congrats on 6 days!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Having this forum at my fingertips made all the difference for me, too.... It's so easy to come here once a day and "refresh" our memories! Congratulations on 6 days!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

amazing how fast day 1 starts again
Old 06-24-2012, 01:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just keep at it Coryy....I had many many Day 1's.......
Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coryy View Post
amazing how fast day 1 starts again
I too, have had a bunch of day 1's. That's okay, just KEEP AT IT. You know your cycle, and realize that when you start to feel better, you think you can return safely. In my case, I couldn't.

When I was early on this board, someone suggested something as simple as writing down all the benefits of sobriety, and everything that sucks about a drunken existence. A good exercise. You said you are fed up with it, so focus on why.

And if AA isn't for you, there are other programs out there besides simply not drinking.

Best to you, and welcome to this community!