Notices

Tramadol Tapering Shortness of Breath

Old 06-17-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Tramadol Tapering Shortness of Breath

Hi Everyone,

I am currently tapering from Tramadol. I was taking 6 50mg a day. I went down to 4 straightaway a few days ago. I have been having a lot of shortness of breath. I am constantly trying to take in deep breaths, it's exhausting.

I've read a lot of stories and I can't find anyone else that had this symptom. Can anyone let me know if this may be a symptom?

I don't have insurance, so I can't really go to a Doctor right now. I'm thinking it's either the Tram withdrawal or a vitamin deficiency. I'm hoping it's the Tram as that will resolve soon. Hopefully.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you,
Naveen
Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Naveen!

Glad you're here and congrats for trying to make positive changes. I have no personal experience with Tramadol (my addiction was to alcohol), but I know withdrawals are difficult. Seeing a doctor is the best way to go. While we can share our experiences, we try to be careful about not giving medical advice..... you just never know what a symptom might mean from one person to the next.

I do hope you check out the forum for substance abuse, though (and stick around for support, too - this is a great place!): Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Naveen)) - Welcome to SR! I would be concerned about the shortness of breath, too. I do understand about not having insurance (I don't have it, either..in fact just recently lost my job, too) but our health is important. I hope you do see if a dr. if you need to.

I hope you keep reading and posting. There are a lot of people here who have abused a lot of different things, and you're not alone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Please do your own search on this. I found this:

"The nerve tingling and shortness of breath is normal and does eventually subside. Hang in there! You can do this.
Focus on the prize...being Tram FREE"

Glad you are attempting to get off this stuff!

Hugs,
Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know the answer. I suggest calling a nurse hotline for your local hospital. Best thoughts to you friend.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Naveen!

Even if this is a normal symptom...no one knows your background. Please see a Doctor..it's the best way to get a proper diagnosis. That being said it's against the rules to give Medical Advice.

Glad you came here for support! I wish you the best, SR was a life saver for me.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. Not really looking for medical advice. Just wondering if anyone had experienced it during tramadol withdrawals.

Thanks for the keywords, I actually posted there today too. But didn't see that post.

I went to the ER yesterday. They did a EKG and blood test. Of course they don't test for vitamin deficiency. I was told I wasn't going to die anytime soon, basically lol.

I will go the doctor, but it will have to wait until the first when I get my check. I couldn't even get in the door right now. I definitely will if it is still present.

I've actually never been addicted to any drug in the truest since of the word. When I was put on Oxycontin for pain from a massive tumor while waiting for surgery, I thought wow, I'd sell my soul to the devil for these. So, I've been very careful not to get addicted. I had watched a lot of documentaries and reality shows on addiction so I was aware of the trouble I could get into.

Doctors where I'm at are really hesitant to prescribe it unless you have something really wrong with you. And it's expensive to buy them off the street if you can find them. I just couldn't afford an addiction. But I can see how so easily someone could fall into the trap. I had to constantly keep myself in check. I never went over my prescribed doses.

I had to taper from 160mg of Oxycontin and about 10mg of hydromorphone a day. My doctor was so careful to get me off slowly that it wasn't painful until I got down to 10mg of oxy and had to quit. I didn't get the normal withdrawals. No anxiety, diarrhea, restless legs or arms. It just went straight to my back. I went 3 days, it felt like labor pains in my back. I've never experienced anything so excruciating. That is how I got hooked on Tramadol because it took away the withdrawals completely.

I guess my biggest problem is that I can't do the withdrawal. I've tried so hard. I really jumped from the frying pan into the fire with the tramadol. If only I could have just sucked it up another day or two. I just felt like I couldn't.

Well, thank you so much for the kind replies. Those who have conquered and are conquering are really strong. Don't doubt it. I've gone through the withdrawals twice now, it's no joke and not for the weak. Stay strong.

*hugs*
Naveen
Old 06-17-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Naveen

I'm assuming you're in the States - many areas now have free, low cost, or sliding scale clinics - it may be an option?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

D