Notices

Wanted to Introduce Myself

Old 06-17-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanted to Introduce Myself

This is only day 2 for me. Harder than I thought. But doing ok. I kept starting and stopping drinking and this time I want to stop for sure. Im in my mid 40s and was a wine drinker. Can anyone tell me if you shed any extra pounds from staying totally away from booze? Im in the Largo area in Florida
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Welcome, and congrats on getting through Day 1. I started and stopped many, many times and the first week was always the hardest but after that, it got much easier.

I lost about 40 pounds when I quit drinking. Some of that was probably due to the fact that I was taking in a lot less calories without the booze. I also didn't have much of an appetite the first couple of months, so I didn't eat much. Hard to say whether or not you'll lose a lot of weight but it's possible. Some folks gain weight because they regain their appetite when they quit drinking; I was the opposite ... I ate like a pig when I was drinking but not much at all when I got sober. It's different for everyone, I guess.

Glad you're here!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi lucky

Welcome to Sr and to the journey

stopping isn't quite the issue is it...? it is staying stopped and learning how to live sober and that is what the jounrrey of recovery has taught me to do. It is a "WE" jounrey
You do not have to do this alone
Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 days and welcome you're definitely in the right place. I have lost weight since I stopped drinking but I have also been on a diet so I can't say for sure whether any of the weight loss is due to quitting, but I'm sure it definitely helped. Not taking in the calories from alcohol (I also drank wine, and I think there's about 500 calories in a bottle so it all adds up) and also I made poor food choices whilst I was drinking and when hungover... so the alcohol may not be directly related but I'm sure it's helped not drinking it any more. Good luck and all the best.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Lucky

I lost a bit of weight, but then put some of it back on. Don't worry about it too much, try and make healthy choices but make sure your sobriety comes first. Those huge evening meals got me through the first few weeks x
Old 06-17-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome luckyme!

I agree with hypochondriac - first things first, as they say. I was hungrier after getting sober and since dinner time was when I usually started drinking, I allowed myself to get carryout from some of my favorite restaurants. It gave me something to look forward to at the end of the day. After a couple weeks, my appetite settled down (I did end up losing about 15 pounds).

The support here has really helped me stay sober. Glad you've joined us!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome there!

There is alot of fat in alcohol so I'm sure you will see the difference at one point. Alcohol also slows down the process of burning fat.

I agree with Fluttering. I think its easy to say "I'm gonna stop now!" and the decision is easily made.. But keeping that way is the hard part. Specially around day 3 - at day 4 that's where I will always fail.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is my experience only:
I am in my mid 50's and first began trying to be sober in my early 40's. Then, I gave up for several years...anyway, I seemed to gain weight the first time I tried to stop drinking...this time though, I have lost a few pounds...but, I am also trying to eat more healthfully...so not, sure if weight loss will happen for you or not...I feel so much better sober, and notice my face looks better, less puffy...so congratulation on the decision to stay sober...
Old 06-17-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi luckyme

It can be hard in the beginning but you'll find a lot of support here

Welcome!
D
Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I gained some but that was from quitting smoking I think because I was weight stable until I stopped using the nicotine patches. Most say they lose weight, some a lot when they stop drinking. Some get sugar cravings, give in, and stay the same or gain weight.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

It's easier to eat healthier and exercise more when you are consolidated in sobriety. I lost about 5kg. Many people say I look better.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been sober one week. I have lost no weight at all BUT four inches off my waist, my double chin and I HAVE CHEEKBONES! Who knew?! x
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
Old 06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! I did shed lbs altho I move around now that I don't sit around and drink. But the best news is that there are a TON of other positives!! Keep goin! Your new life awaits!