Notices

Day 6

Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6

Well today feels a lot better for me, as I made it through several temptations yesterday, and went to a meeting. My neighbors had the kids birthday; my wife urged that I needed to go to the party (several times), for the good of my kids. She still does not comprehend what I am facing, but I held my ground and explained that the kids did not need to have me at the party, but rather to be there for them in the long run. So I stayed inside, and listened to the dj play, and the belligerence of the crowd grow through the evening. When the host came over to tell me that he would not offer me any booze, I explained to him that he would not have to "offer", that I would simply take it, swipe it, sneak it...etc. He told me that he respected my decision, but that I should not become one of those people that stops hanging out just because people are drinking. I told him that I was just working through the shakes, and that we would see what happens in the future. I guess he didn't remember last years party when I tried to start a fight with him (reason unknown).

Anyway small victories, and I was invited to another meeting this morning which I am about to get ready for...day 6.

I also wanted to thank everyone who read and replied to my post regarding whether meetings were necessary to maintain sobriety. I have found the best idea to at least go to meetings for now and learn some of the foundation work that will benefit my efforts. Whether I stick to the 12 step program or develop my own remains to be seen, but I am happy to know that there still are options with regards to maintaining sobriety. The other one I liked simply stated: " It was my life at risk, and to find what works".

Thank you everybody for your support, and I hope that today is a sober one for you.

ericz
Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for standing your ground Ericz. I had people telling me too that I couldn't just avoid being in places where alcohol was forever. People can quite frankly sod off. You know what's best for you. Well done for making it through that on day 6 x
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job eric! I admire your honesty with the host. You definitely stayed strong. Thanks for sharing--inspirational! Keep hanging in.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR eric

D
Old 06-17-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Live for today and live in the moment...
Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done Eric

And no you will not have to avoid places that have alcohol for the rest of your life, but in early sobriety we gotta do what we gotta do. You did the right thing.

I had so much to learn about alcohol and the destructive power of it....and the ONLY reason I know as much as I do, is because it was destroying me....and I needed to know what i was dealing with. I'm still reading and learning a year and a half into sobriety and I will never become complacent about it. I guess part of my point here is that, me being the one with the problem and I had so much to learn - your neighbor probably won't have a clue as to the struggle you're going through. Hope that makes sense.

As my tag line says "whatever you put ahead of our recovery, you will lose"

Again, great job Eric. We're all behind you
Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi eric. It feels so good when we make it over those hurdles, especially early on. We grow stronger every time we have a triumph. Proud of you for getting through it.