Notices

Semi New Member

Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Semi New Member

Hi everyone! I have been a member of sober recovery for a couple of years now. I haven't been on in while, but when I did visit I would post in the "family & friends" section of the forum.

I was in a very alcoholic abusive relationship, which I guess kept me from drinking. Now that I've gotten out of the relationship, I'm starting to drink...like wayyy too much...like every-night. I don't know what happened to me. I used to never drink and HATED it! My dad is an absent alcoholic and my ex was destroyed by it. Why can't I stop myself.

I can go most of the day without it, but at night I have to have a drink in my hand or I get irritated. I'm also smoking cigarettes way to much because I'm drinking. Another things I didn't do often until I start drinking more. On top of all of this I'm addicted to marijuana as well. It just makes life so much easier to cope with, or it's just something to do because I'm bored. My work suffers because of it..

I don't know what's wrong with me. I just don't have the motivation to do anything.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share and get some insight on what I should do? Is it a common thing for someone who was in a very abusive alcoholic relationship to start abusing as well? Just seems backwards...
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just want to be happy and healthy again..
Old 06-17-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emeraldstorm View Post
Is it a common thing for someone who was in a very abusive alcoholic relationship to start abusing as well?
Hi Emeraldstorm. Welcome back. I can't answer your question, but I imagine you have read here about the different things one can do if they have an alcohol problem.

So please do something to quit drinking before it starts to mess up your life. Best wishes.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, that is the problem! It hasn't messed up my life yet and I know what happens once you spin out of control. I don't want to loose control of my mind!!

I'm so scared...
Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

I quit weed and alcohol last year. It can be done! Research how they impact our bodies. We do a lot of damage.

Glad you are here!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you ready to quit drinking?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yeah...just don't know the best way to approach it...AA wouldn't work for me. It's not my thing...so I'm not sure what to do. I don't have insurance so I don't know where to go for help. I mean if there is a book or something that is popular, I'm willing to give that a try?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Yes Emerald it is very very common for people who've been in abusive relationships and/or relationships with an addict or alcoholic to end up with a drinking problem themselves.

Codependency, which is common among those in relationships with abusers or addicts, is a sort of addiction itself, and has many of the underlying character/psychological tendencies as addiction.

Also, I think there can be a "can't beat'em? join'em" issue that goes on. It's easier to tolerate the situation when one is self medicated, it often seems less scary than walking away.

Welcome here, again.

I am sorry for the experiences you've been through, but at least you are recognizing your situation and addressing it earlier, rather than later.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would recommend talking to your doctor to start. Does he know about your drinking problem?
Next: stop drinking. Just stop. Everything else will follow from there. Eat healthy, eat lots, exercise. You will be amazed how quickly things start to improve once you cut the booze out.
Posting on here is a great first step. It has gotten me through eight months. Keep sharing
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Yes Emerald it is very very common for people who've been in abusive relationships and/or relationships with an addict or alcoholic to end up with a drinking problem themselves.

Codependency, which is common among those in relationships with abusers or addicts, is a sort of addiction itself, and has many of the underlying character/psychological tendencies as addiction.

Also, I think there can be a "can't beat'em? join'em" issue that goes on. It's easier to tolerate the situation when one is self medicated, it often seems less scary than walking away.

Welcome here, again.

I am sorry for the experiences you've been through, but at least you are recognizing your situation and addressing it earlier, rather than later.
Yeah, well said Threshold, says it all.

Emerald, so good to see you honestly sincerely struggling with doing what is right for you, and in your struggles you will discover your proper journey into resolving your challenges, believe it, thats how it works best.

You mentioned is there a book? Check out the AVRT discussion thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

Old 06-17-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Nicely said, Threshold. That was definitely me. I was raised by two alcoholic parents and swore I'd never be like them. Then a few years into our marriage, my husband started drinking heavily and now he's a full blown alkie himself. I was a sporadically heavy drinker here and there, but a few years ago, I became an alcoholic too, which surprised the heck out of me. lol So yeah, I think we often drink because it makes difficult situations and people easier to tolerate.

I'm sorry you've been through what you have, but I'm glad you're here. Check out the AVRT thread that Robby posted the link to, and you could also try reading the book "Rational Recovery." Seems to work for a number of the people here, and although I do AA, I've also applied some of the RR principles to my recovery and they've been very helpful.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
So yeah, I think we often drink because it makes difficult situations and people easier to tolerate.
Yup! So true!

I guess I need to figure out better coping skills, because I do not want to lose control!

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I'm gonna start reading/researching!