Notices

Dreams about drinking?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams about drinking?

I'm close to two months sober and last night I had my first dream about drinking. In the dream I actually saw myself going to the fridge, opening a beer and staring at it until i put the cap back on it and set it in the fridge.

I've never had dreams about drinking before and thought it was odd that it was actually about NOT drinking

anyone else experience something like this?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oddly enough, last night I had dreams about taking drugs. Dunno why, I've never injected anything in the past.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This time around getting sober I haven't had any drink dreams. I did on my prior attempt though, and it was unbelievably realistic. I poured a glass of scotch on the rocks in a really nice tumbler, heard the clinking ice, almost smelled it. I knew it was a "taboo" act but I drank it. When I woke up there was a moment of panic followed by relief. I think many. many people in recovery have experienced this.

best wishes to you!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pretty common. at an AA meeting maybe 3 weeks ago people who have been off alcohol for 20+ years were talking about recent drunk dreams. most of mine involve people getting in the way of my drinking, pissing me off, but also some guilt. then I wake up and all's good. haven't had one in a week or so actually.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have had a few drinking dreams in sobriety. They have been a little too realistic and I always wake up feeling pretty bad. It's a nice feeling once I realize it was just a stupid dream!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had one last night. I'm always so happy to wake up from those. I have them a couple of times a week.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't really think of any dreams about drinking. I have alot of nightmares about being hunted by household appliances though.. A microwave bit my arm off a couple of nights ago.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had dreams about not drinking too

I don't really attach any meaning to drinking dreams, but I must admit it feels pretty cool to wake up and realise you dreamt about not drinking lol

Congratulations on your sober time WingsFan

D
Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

this might sound wierd,but heres my experience:
for about the last 7 years of my drinking, i had nightmares involving ( believe it or not, and i can laugh at it today) GODZILLA!!! they were extremely vivid and i would snap awake just as he was gonna kill me, soaked in sweat, shaking, and heart about to blow outta my chest.
i havent had a single nightmare or dream with godzilla since i got into recovery.
i have, though had drinking dreams. a few times i woke up not knowing where i was only to find out it was my own bed! they can be extremely vivid. they used to really bother me and i'd lose the rest of the night of sleep.
now i can say," thank you, God!" they are reminders to me how easy it would be for me to get drunk. but they are only dreams.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

had dreams about drinking but don't think too much it. Its a dream and you should not think too much of it.