Notices

First time to be social

Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

First time to be social

Yesterday I woke up and I was going to start unpacking, after leaving my relationship of 14 years. I got a call from a friend of mine from the 80's, boy did we use to party! She and her family were coming up to go boating. She invited me, she told me there would be no alcohol, so I thought about it and ended up going.
After I arrived at the boat dock, it was 10:30 am, she comes up to me and gives me a big hug, and we go back to her car. Her 19 year old son, was just pulled over and he was taken to jail, so they where waiting to hear why and just how much trouble he was in.
We went out on the boat and went to the dam, and parked. She then asked me if it was ok if she had a beer!! It is about 11 and she had already told me there would be NO alcohol! I told her that was fine, she claimed that she needed a beer bc of her son being taken to jail. SHe only had 3 the whole day, which was from 10:30 - 3:30, which I would have had a 20 pack if I was still drinking. We had some really good conversations about my drinking and how important it is for me to stay sober, and why I need to stay sober, etc....
She got a call from someone that explained more about what happened to her 19 year old son. He was arrested and booked with a felony. He had stolen some medication from her house and was arrested for having Adderol without a prescription and 110 Zanex.
This was the very first time that I went out in a boat, was around alcohol, was socializing with people, and after we got off the lake, we went to one of my old drinking hangouts. I will have 6 months on the 19th, and I am glad that it was with them that I did all this yesterday. I am glad it wasn't 50 people drinking and I was the only one not. I could hang, I just know that I won't be making a habit of it. My sobriety is first in my life at this time, and I know that. My old pattern started creeping up about maybe I am not an alkie, maybe I can start drinking after a while, etc....
But I can't start drinking. I have 2 children that need me to be sober. It is a very hard disease to have, but I can do it.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Job well done, SB! I can imagine it was hard, but you are committed, which is what is most important. And, you don't yet know what impact your non-drinking example may have had on your friend. Way to stay strong!