Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Spouse drying out. Last time had severe symptoms. I need insight!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey all, My husband is Drying out and although I know no one can give me medical advice I am on pins & needles and need support from those who has witnessed a similar situation.

A year ago he was under sever stress and exhaustion, I believe he wasn't able to keep up with the drinking his body needed. He would fall asleep so early and not have his evening bourbon. So he ended in the ER 2 times in a month. I had to call an ambulance because he was catatonic. Eyes open, yet unable to speak or move although I knew he was trying to speak. This hit at about the 3rd day.....It was horrible although i knew it was DTS, I didn't know if he was having a stroke or such.

He was like that for HOURS after he got to hospital...perhaps 6 at least. The ER gave him fluids ran tests and even did a CT scan because I knew he had fallen earlier. All was fine, Dr. agreed it was severe withdrawals. They gave him Librium to ease the symptoms, but he won't take pills.

My point: I am glad he has decided to stop drinking, but I wish he would do it the right way with a trained professional and counseling/support. I know I am not a great support to him as I do not know how an addict feels and my own issues are wrapped up in this issue. But he puts this stress on me and expects me NOT to call ambulance if he is catatonic....YES, he told me I was stupid for doing that and that it wasn't that bad... he thinks I should have "handled" it....meanwhile I have a small child whom I should allow to watch her father sit in a catatonic state for hours?...never mind the fact he could have died??.....gimme a break! ........venting

So I have agreed to not go to work and be present while he dries out this weekend, but I am a nervous wreck. I do realize how deadly sever dts can be, and I am married to an incredibly stubborn man.

After 12 hours with no drinking he seems mentally okay, a lil anxious, and uncomfortable and dry throat and shakes. ....we are not even at 24 hours yet! MAN!!

SO.....we have no insurance, and I am worried about a repeat incident....If he goes catatonic i will call ambulance as I cannot get him into a car.

Any similar stories? Any helpful advice?....anything to watch out for BEFORE he goes catatonic......

sigh
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

You are repeating your same pattern. He dries out, you watch, you worry, you wring your hands, you take action, you get accused of taking the wrong action.

I don't have any insight to share.
I do have a question.

How much does he pay for this personal babysitting service?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My xah asked me once to 'help' him detox at home. I was not able to say no to very many things but I did say NO to that. I refused to help him. He wanted to detox he could go to the doc and get the medicine and I went to stay with a relative for a long weekend.

It frightened me. I wanted no part of it.

It makes me mad on your behalf that he keeps asking you to do this. He is, yet again, asking you to be responsible for him instead of being a grown, responsible, man taking care of his own self produced and pre-meditated medical emergency.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He has the option of going to a hotel room and detoxing, he is literally putting his life in your hands, what is his motivation for doing that, and what is your motivation for putting up with it.

Tell him to call a friend to come watch him try to kill himself, he is getting some sick satisfaction from putting you in charge of his life and watching him suffer.

I wouldn't do it. Tell him to seek medical attention or find somewhere else to do what he has to do.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would call or take him to the hospital anyway.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My husband died (in March, this year) on the 3rd day of a detox he was going through at home alone. I was 1000 miles away. I urged him on the phone the night before his death to get help, and call an ambulance. He didn't ... wouldn't or couldn't .. I will never know which. He suffered an internal hemmorhage and bled out. He had never had that kind of problem before.

That is my story. You will decide what is best for you and your loved one, but, had I been there with my husband (or had I even known how bad it was or could get or that he would not call if he needed to), I would have called an ambulance for him and he might be alive today to have one more chance to make the right choice, to stay off the booze forever.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definition of Delirium Tremens:

"An acute and sometimes fatal psychotic reaction caused by the abrupt cessation of excessive intake of alcoholic beverages. Symptoms include insomnia, agitation, mental confusion, vivid and often frightening hallucinations, acute fear and anxiety, coarse tremors of the hands, feet, legs and tongue, increased heart rate, extreme perspiration, GI distress, and pain in the chest wall over the heart. The episode, which constitutes a medical emergency, typically lasts from 3 to 6 days."

I would not let the alcoholic be the person in charge.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wish i had read these replies before he dried out!
He had a seizure 24 hours in.....I have never seen one before and it was frightening as I tried to keep my young daughter from seeing it and call 911.

Good god!

I can't believe the last 2 visits to ER I was never told that these seizures are common at 24 hours not drinking!!. I NEVER would have agreed to do this if I had known and never wuld have had my daughter in the house. I had no idea this is what happened the last 2 times. I never saw the seizure, just the aftermath

Now I know....and this is the last time I will be here here for this. He doesn't seem to remember it and doesn't get how horrible this was. He is taking the Librium after my demands. and he is better....I believe we are at the tail end of this physical part...now comes the rest.

Any insight on what happens at day 4 or on the librium....he won't go to AA and doubt will seek help. SO i know this won't stop, but would like any stories or insight on what happens next.

I am being supportive since this is a serious effort on his part, but I am over this and expect a change.....but I realize how this works.

Geesh i am emotionally fried.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting your story. My heart goes out to you and your words have had an impact. Thank you
Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Survivor

This is entirely too much for one person to handle. I really, really hope you are going to F2F Al-Anon meetings. If you are not going, please deeply consider going.

Sending love, light, and prayers,

Lily