Notices

Day 7

Old 06-16-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

Hello, my name is bradley and I am sober for the first time in 5 years. I am addicted to opiates. I have been sober for 7 days and it has been the hardest thing I have ever done.Can someone please tell me when I can sleep again? I havent slept in a week. I have tried nyquil and benadryl and I can't even drug myself to sleep. When does it get easier physically?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Hi BradleyO, 7 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. I'm 1 year 11 months sober and it took me 9 months or so to begin to feel comfortable with it. I just "play the tape all the way through", on a regular basis to remind myself of how horrible I felt for 40 odd years before 7-10-2010, my sobriety date. Been off crack for 9 months, suffered more with that, and now haven't smoked a cigarette since June 5th.
As I type I'm in more pain than I've ever been. Why am I putting myself through this? Even with as bad as I feel right now, I'm better off than I was before. Don't know how long it will take you to feel better, but you will.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I still don't fall asleep like I did when stoned, or on pills etc. but that is to be expected. I am 46 days clean and once I fall asleep I do stay asleep. I have been taking benedryl before bed, but some nights I wander from my bed, downstairs to the couch, and back up to my bed. Luckily I am not working this summer so I am not too stressed about it and I figure by August I should be back to normal.

Congrats on 7 days...it's a tough and bumpy road, but every so often I see the light and know it is the right road to be on.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Bradley)) - Welcome to SR!! I'm not sure about the sleep issue, as opiates weren't my "thing" but I've read several posts and it seems to take a little while. Our bodies get used to a substance and though a week seems like an eternity, compared to years..it's not.

It does get better, though

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bradley - welcome

I think, no matter what alcohol or drug we're withdrawing from, normal sleep can take a while.

You'll find a lot of support here tho

We also have a substance abuse forum here as well - you might like to check that out too

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. Getting sober taught me to react less to transient troubles. Everything happens in it's own time not mine.