Notices

Day 5

Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

I did not sleep well last night. I awoke from a terrible drinking nightmare, and my anxiety is through the roof. I feel pretty bad. I had hoped I would be at least at 80% today, but I know that is not the case. Have 2 bbqs scheduled for today, that I need to flake on. One for my kids friends b-day; the dad is a drinking buddy. The other bbq is with a family that recently moved down the block, and the wife is looking forward to my strawberry margaritas. Not the biggest of hurdles.

I have only been able to force myself out of the house for a meeting on day 1, and to take my family to the county fair on day 3. Forcing myself out of the house is a must today, I fear falling into a steady depression....there is so much more, but I just wanted to vent for a minute.

I will not drink today, and am happy that I haven't yet. I feel like my honeymoon of sobriety is almost over however, and that the true trials lay ahead. Fear is welling up. Dreams. Anxiety. Depression.

I am reliant on support right now, but have not much to offer in return. I feel useless.

Thank you for hearing me, and goodluck in sobriety.

Godbless,

ericz
Old 06-16-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ericz, you have more to offer than you know. you have a willingness to ask for help from people that have been down the same road and have trudged through early recovery to get sober.

you are not useless, you are just sick. i highly suggest ya muster up some courage and go to a meeting. it will help ya stop living with yer own thoughts and hurtin yerself.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Eric,

Day 5 is early in the ball game, but what you expressed was very much how I feel on day 5.

I would suggest that you try to attend AA, but also include other support. I think AA is only one peice of the deal for some of us. Perhaps you can seek some counciling. Perhaps you need some support in letting your family know that mixing drinks isn't real good right now.

The first step in recovery is to stop drinking. The real recovery is in dealing with the rest. Some find it in AA alone, some need other avenues. Some do something completely different. I don't know what will help you best, but there are many threads and many segments at SR to help you.

For now, if you can take a deep breath and realize this is a long journey. It may not seem like it's great on day 5, but it's just a start. If you don't drink and start the work to resolve and change, you are on the right path to a better future.

For now, Day 5, don't expect a miricle, do what you can to ease the pressure, and build any foundation you can to help you deal with your problems and supply solutions.

I wish you the best.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We understand the fear and depression, weve all been there.
Day 5 is very early and what you are feeling is normal, try and avoid drinking situations if you can.
Keep reading and posting on here. It really does help x
Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As mentioned day 5 is usually early days for sure. I don't know how much you drank or how but there are phases of withdrawal , acute , post acute and they take time , some of them lots of sober time. Search google on PAWS and/or post acute withdrawal syndrome so you can get a look ahead and know what you might experience.

I can only speak for myself , but I wouldn't be playing bartender...heck knows I was one in my early days. Sounds like a very dangerous situation.