Notices

Overeating tool to compensate

Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Overeating tool to compensate

I'm still working toward my first week. About halfway as usual. I've been snacking on chips and lollies in the time that I would normally be drinking. I have a weight problem and part of the alcoholic's tactic is convincing me I won't gain weight if I drink because then I wouldn't need the lollies.

My question is how long I should tolerate the overeating compensation before starting to pull the plug on it? Pulling too soon could lead to a relapse, but I also find that the longer it goes on, the more addictive the eating is. So how many days sober would I need to be strong enough to deal without the eating?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Keep trying and give sobriety a chance,
Old 06-16-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey dude! You Australian? My H is from Melbourne and he always says lollies instead of sweets

Most of us did this when we first quit booze. There's a LOT of calories, mostly from sugar, suddenly cut out of our diets and our bodies go nuts trying to compensate. I ate about a kilo a day of chocolate for the first month (best. month. ever.) then started to gain weight so switched to fruit. It was brilliant - my body basically wanted sugar, and fruit's got plenty, but in a pretty healthy form.

Load up on blueberries, kiwis, bananas and apples, drown them in soy yoghurt if you're feeling really naughty. Have you ever tried soy yoghurt? Sounds like it should be horrific, actually tastes like cream. I live off it now. I like it on tinned pears. The flavoured ones are the best, but plain's good too.

Plenty of salad and oily fish are good too - most of us live on crap when we're drinking, so our bodies don't really know what to ask for when they're craving. Your body might need omega fats, but you interpret the craving as sugar, cos that's what you're used to. So pile on all the things you know are healthy, even if you don't know you want them, and give it a couple of weeks for the cravings to settle down.

Good luck making it to the end of the week sober. Above all, don't relapse - you can take weight off when you level out. Sobriety is more important. I have a friend here who gained 80lb when he quit. He's quite cheerful about it - says no-one gets pulled over for fat driving. Haha!

xx
Old 06-16-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
4-23-2012

For me the increased apetite comes and goes. Don't try to do too much too fast. For now I suggest doing what makes you happy; put some distance between you and the drink. Get used to this new life for a month and then tackle the next problem.

At some point you do need a healthy lifestyle. If you join a gym they mighthave a 6-weekpersonal trainer program. They can give you a personalized exercise and diet plan. You shouldn't be hungry, you should just eat right. Anyway it should be cheaper than drinking.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Hey dude! You Australian? My H is from Melbourne and he always says lollies instead of sweets

Most of us did this when we first quit booze. There's a LOT of calories, mostly from sugar, suddenly cut out of our diets and our bodies go nuts trying to compensate. I ate about a kilo a day of chocolate for the first month (best. month. ever.) then started to gain weight so switched to fruit. It was brilliant - my body basically wanted sugar, and fruit's got plenty, but in a pretty healthy form.

Load up on blueberries, kiwis, bananas and apples, drown them in soy yoghurt if you're feeling really naughty. Have you ever tried soy yoghurt? Sounds like it should be horrific, actually tastes like cream. I live off it now. I like it on tinned pears. The flavoured ones are the best, but plain's good too.

Plenty of salad and oily fish are good too - most of us live on crap when we're drinking, so our bodies don't really know what to ask for when they're craving. Your body might need omega fats, but you interpret the craving as sugar, cos that's what you're used to. So pile on all the things you know are healthy, even if you don't know you want them, and give it a couple of weeks for the cravings to settle down.

Good luck making it to the end of the week sober. Above all, don't relapse - you can take weight off when you level out. Sobriety is more important. I have a friend here who gained 80lb when he quit. He's quite cheerful about it - says no-one gets pulled over for fat driving. Haha!

xx

I didn't realize lolly was an Australian word. Interesting. Yes, I am from Australia ... seems as if my accent is so bad it's being picked up online

Yes, I could lose 80lb not put it on. That's a nice recommendation about fruit and yoghourt. I will definitely try it at some point.

So both stillsleeping and joecards are saying one month I'm off the hook for food binges..? Must say I feel like I have the flu at the moment ... bit dizzy, sore throat ... and I'll soon bet the itching is going to start up soon. Day 4 anyway just about finished. About a week ago I also made it 4 days but got drunk day 5. Found that I wasn't hung over the next day, and then drank two days later and had a terrible hang over. Was actually thinking of continuing the drink but I practically woke up yesterday halfway into day 3 realizing that there's no point in doing it because it isn't helping me. I'm just delaying the inevitable withdrawal the next day, and subsequent organ failure in the next year. In any case I've put myself in the routine of getting into bed at the time I'd normally drink. I just don't have the energy for anything else.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

With everything we do there could be a
consequence that come with it. Just like
our drinking or if its using there are huge
consequences attached to it. Over eating
or eating too much junk, it also can impair
our heath.

It was suggested to me early on in recovery
to work on not drinking and staying sober 1st
before tackling other issues. Not drinking is a
tall order to fullfill for an alcoholic and each
day sober is a miracle.

All in moderation is a good rule to remember
because too much of anything is not good. Finding
a balance is a good rule follow for sure.

Just like alcohol, if it's not in my home, I wont
reach for it nor drink it. Food works the same
way. If it's not in my home, I wont eat it. Junk
food that is. or my love for Ben And Jerry's
Pistachio Pistachio....yum..!

First Things First....Not Drinking then moderations
and balance in eating.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, I spent 5 weeks in a treatment centre when I first quit and assumed I would lose weight after not drinking but quite the oposite for me. I had to replace the sugar and I overeat and put on half a stone. Since coming out I have not needed that sugar fix and have lost that weight without trying. So I say just let your body decide and don't worry too much.

xx
Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got the flu on day 7. A few weeks later someone posted a thread asking if this was common, and about a million people posted saying they had the same thing. Weird but true.

Well done noticing your pattern so early on. You're right - eventually all this leads to is organ failure. We're better than that, right?

I'd say the real food cravings lasted about a month. After that I was just comfort eating, which I do a lot. I exercise a lot too, so I don't get too fat - exercise is the best advice I could give, ever.

Oh, and I've just signed up for the 100 days no obvious sweets thread. Eek! Now I'm accountable...

Massive congratulations on day 4 dude - every hour is earned at the start. It gets much, much easier, I promise...
Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't give yourself a hard time about it in the first week Tim.

My sugar cravings really died down after a month, but my appetite was ferocious for a few months. I was eating healthy stuff, but lots of it, and dropped half a stone pretty quickly. All that has died off now and I'm just a normal person who doesn't drink and would rather not be a glutton. At least I don't have to eat loads of pie just to function like I did when I was hungover

You're aware that you're maybe eating a bit too much so don't worry about it becoming a problem. Just try and rein it in when you can x
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I quit for the first 3 months before my last relapse I ate a ton. I would eat a lot of ice cream and drink a lot of mountain dew. I'm on day 1 right now, I'll get through to day 2.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't try think too hard about the overeating just yet if you can't control it yet. Focus on your sobriety and if you crave food just do it at the beginning. Once your body gets tired of the overeating then you will stop doing it.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just posting to say that I, too, have noticed a big increase in appetite! I haven't had a drink in 6 days but I have been craving things like yogurt, ice cream and fruit.

As a couple of previous posters said, though, I am just focusing on staying sober right now. I'm not going to worry about food or gaining weight because each day the most important thing is to stay away from the alcohol and the rest will work itself out later.

tara
Old 06-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep...this last week especially Ive really over done it! Sharons advise it great. I will use it too!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

What about chewing carrots and celery and really chewing well, chew sugarless gum, and start exercising to replace the eating and sitting?
Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tim, you might want to try using L-glutamine as a way of suppressing your hunger. For me, when I quit, I had a strong craving for sugar of all kinds; almost as strong as the desire for alcohol was before I quit. For some reason, taking about 1500 mg/day of L-glutamine (it is an amino acid) suppressed my sweet tooth. It is also used, in much larger amounts, by many body builders as a source of amino acids. BTW, this is not medical advice, I am just suggesting something that worked, pretty well, for me. Good luck and best wishes.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really fell into that trap Tim - f I had my time over I'd eat more fruit nuts and natural stuff...and add in more exercise.

5 years later is better late than never.

As far as supplements go - see your Dr first.
What worked for someone else may not work or may not be suitable for you.

D
Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimW
My question is how long I should tolerate the overeating compensation before starting to pull the plug on it?
You mentioned a weight problem, is that from overeating or from drinking?

Some people's bodies naturally tell them when they've eaten enough. I think I hate them... but if you're like that, you can indulge yourself a month or two and you'll have no problem shedding off the weight afterwards.

If you're not like that, be more careful, especially with junk food. That stuff is a little addictive.

Maybe try replacing the chips and sweets with healthier alternatives that hit the same spot. For instance, I've replaced chips with beef jerky (not sure how popular it is in Australia). Not particularly healthy but it works for me and it's chewier, more filling and has only a fraction of the calories chips do.

Pistachios and black olives (the kind that comes in a can and isn't too salty) also work for me. They've got a ton of calories, but they're filling and the fats they contain are actually good for you.

Can't give any suggestions for the sweets, but maybe others can. Best of luck.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Weight problem is from overeating. But what happens is I tend to have binge days where I eat ridiculously the day after a drinking session. My sober days 2 and beyond are usually healthy except for snacking at night. I can't get out of it.

Thing is, I started my alcoholism as a way to lose weight. And it worked for a couple of years. I was thin like a rake. Thing is, I became addicted to it. So once I resumed my earlier eating patterns I still couldn't control the alcohol.

I drank tonight anyway. Only 3 drinks ... so far... looking to stop again. Didn't buy any snacks so had nothing to eat but yeah the left over grog still here so I had to start it. Obviously I regret it. Can say though, it was the first night I tried to be 'normal' and be active instead of putting myself to bed like a sick person. Looks like I wasn't ready. Already those damn kidney pains are saying hello again. So that's 4 days X 2 in the last week or so. Better to be stuck in a four day loop than a 2 day loop which as it was before. And yeah, not going to finish this 3rd drink. So I guess it's not a complete disaster. But still pretty bad.

Have to say one thing... Reading a lot of posts from people here have made me recognize that my life is pretty fortunate compared to some folk here. I mean some people's lives seem so stressed out ... like there's so much at stake hanging on every drink they take. I don't have that type of issue. Like my life doesn't seem bad enough to make me an alcoholic. I just have a habit I need to break.

I don't know. Just trying to find some positive in the current dilemma. I think I need a set of guidelines to follow or something. Work sobriety like a muscle.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I don't have that type of issue. Like my life doesn't seem bad enough to make me an alcoholic. I just have a habit I need to break
I don't know Tim...you started drinking as a way to control your weight. That sounds like an issue to me. And it sounds like you have some health problems there too.

I'm sorry you drank. I don't know much about your story and about whether or not you consider yourself an alcoholic or not. All I know is that most of us seem to keep making excuses for our drinking despite the mounting evidence that quitting is a necessity. I was told to quit for health reasons, and I kept drinking for months after that.

If you want to quit and you are finding it hard have you considered getting some help?

Hope you're okay x
Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm fine thanks

I'm definitely an alcoholic. What I was sort of trying to say is that I have no external pressure, like toxic relationships or financial terror or depression that is making things harder. My life is really basic, small neat and tidy.

As far as health goes ... I actually thought, 'Okay I'll go to counseling then' before I took the drink tonight. Now I've had it I don't want to go. It was a real war anyway trying to convince myself to drink / not drink. Guess I failed at the last minute. It was intense.