Notices

Worried about relapsing tomorrow

Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about relapsing tomorrow

I'm traveling across the country tomorrow to visit my girlfriend. We've been doing a long distance relationship for about a year now, and it's at that point where one of us needs to move and neither of us want to. So I have a ton of stress from that and on top of that I HATE flying. I can't relax at all and I have extreme anxiety and episodes of panic while flying. For the past 6 years I've drank liquor to fly but that isn't an option anymore. I'm so worried I'm gonna have a panic attack and/or relapse tomorrow. I've done a ton of reading but none of it has calmed my nerves. Any advice?

Thanks! (I've been sober just over 5 weeks now).
Old 06-15-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have any relaxation music on an Ipod you can listen to?

Do you have anyone's number who is also in recovery who you could speak to before/after you get on the plane?

You can do this, you need a plan :ghug3 and just remember that alcohol will only worsten your panic/anxiety, not better it xxx
Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have a latop you can use to log in here while on the plane..It's cheaper than drinking. You can always take a melatonin or some other natural sleep aid for the trip. As far as relapsing goes...The way I look at it is this....You have your excuses all lined up in your post to drink....They are as clear as day. So the question is...Do you use those excuses to drink?...Or you don't. Is staying sober and keeping those five weeks more important to you than drinking? You already know what is going to set you off...Stress of moving...Fear of flying....Seeing the girlfriend...Unless you want to add a few other excuses to drink...You know what you're up against. So ask yourself...How much does your sobriety mean to you?....Do you want to keep it?....Or not?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 5 months. I hate flying too. If I'm in a really anxious mood it will be worse than normal, and I spend the entire flight in a state of panic. I try to read a book or a magazine, but sometimes I'm so focussed on my anxiety that I can't even focus! I think taking a laptop is a great idea... you could watch a film or do a task that you've been needing to do - like write a letter or something like that. Sorry I'm not much use - I can totally relate to you though because I'm usually the one in that situation! So I wish you all the best for your flight.... you CAN stay away from the liquor. Honestly!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 weeks. Last year my husband was working out of town. I would go weeks without a drink. Then the long drive + time away from home BOOM I was drunk. Be guarded is all i can say. Tell your self you wont drink until you believe it.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi walktheline,
I, too, am a nervous flyer, always flew on a cocktail of mind-numbers (usually alcohol plus xanax) and was absolutely terrified the first time I had to get on a plane without my crutches. Like visibly-vibrating-terrified. You know what really really helped, though? Breathing techniques. Specifically, alternate nostril breathing (pranayama). Check this out, for a list of benefits, and, if you scroll down, instructions on how to do it:
12 Great Reasons To Start Alternate Nostril Breathing: | Rejuvenation Lounge
I sat down, closed my eyes and practiced this technique the entire time I was waiting for the plane to get going and through the entire takeoff until the seatbelt sign had gone off again (the most terrifying part of any flight for me). It worked wonders.
The instructions here don't tell you how long to breathe, but I relied on the memory of an old yoga class and did an inhale in one nostril for a slow count of 8, held my breath for a slow count of 4, and exhaled for a slow count of 16. The counting also helped a lot: you can't help but calm/quiet your mind when you absorb it with a task like that. I was the calmest I'd ever been for a flight (though it took a while for the terror to abate). During the flight, try to concentrate only on staying in the moment and keeping yourself calm. Don't think ahead to any emotional scenes with your girlfriend. Address each fear in its own time. The breathing/counting really, really helps.
I'm fifteen months sober now and I still use this technique every time I fly. I'm still a nervous flyer, and I still dislike takeoff, but I certainly don't need alcohol to get me through it any more. And every time I fly successfully, it adds another positive memory and another piece of sure knowledge that I can do this.
Good luck with your girlfriend also - hope it goes as well as it can go.
xx
Zini
Old 06-15-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on the plane! Two more hours! I'm on edge but I'm gonna do this! Thanks guys!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walktheline1 View Post
I'm on the plane! Two more hours! I'm on edge but I'm gonna do this! Thanks guys!!!
You the MAN!....Hang out and chat awhile.....Nice job bud!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Did it! It was hell on earth, but I did it! Thanks guys!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right on walktheline1...I think you mean that was hell in the sky...But you made it through the hard part...Don't let your guard down...Don't pick up the first drink and do the next right thing!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go Walktheline. Im sure this experience has made you stronger. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you got through that.

I wish you all the best with your girlfriend and that things will work out as they should.

Have a safe trip home.