Father's Day-How can you make it better?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Father's Day-How can you make it better?

Someone else started a Father's Day Thread & I didn't want to take over their's so I thought I'd start another one . . .

Father's Day is a tough day ~

our granddaughter will be so excited and want to do so much for her Dad ~ presents, cards, handmade letters - all those things ~

Like so many of the "father's" here - who knows if she will see him or not ~ just depends on how he & his disease are that day

Part of me wants to discourage her from getting her heart so built up just to be let down, but that's stealing her joy ~ so we will do everything she wants to do for father's day and if he doesn't show up on Sunday, then I will tell her - that's just a day on the calendar - it can be "father's day" any day of the year that her & daddy get to spend the day together ~ just save it in a special place in her room til he comes by.

And then we will focus on something else . . . I plan on having lots of different activities schedule for the day. . .decorating her room, helping me cook a special dessert for PawPaw (Mr.PINK) and many other little fun things she likes to do.

Mother's Day & Father's Day are always hard for our granddaughter - she misses her parents, she still remembers when she had that little family unit just over 3 yrs ago ~

It will be my first Father's Day without my Dad (he passed away in Sept 2011) so it will be good for both she & I to be busy & focused on something positive & productive ~

and if we both need a moment to tear up - we will take it but then we will face the rest of the day with total PINKNESS

so I know many of you will probably face challenges on this Father's day with your children, grandchildren & even great grandchildren . . .

What are your plans to make it a positive experience instead of focusing on the hurt & the negative? How can YOU make it better?

Just something to think about

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was going to talk to my 13 year old and see what he wanted to do. My AH will be off his home detention so I guess we can actually go places or go out to eat, too. My dad passed away back in December at the age of 62 and it was hard to lose him so I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. I guess keeping myself busy would be a good idea!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do not know. My kids will not see their dad since he moved to far away. They know they won't see him so no unexpected let downs. My dad is in the nursing home here. This may be his last father's day with us so I'll have him over to the house. I have to think of something for my boys though. It is hard to stay home with them all (either to much bickering or half of them disappear into the basement with video games and I have to argue with them to turn it off and join us). I'll try and plan some fun, yet easy, things to cook (on the grill and maybe cookies or something) as they do like to do that. Movies are so easy for me but never work because one kid in particular can not sit for a movie and it creates way more stress then it is worth trying to manage the situation.

I am thankful that their dad is apparently sober because that at least provides some hope for a future relationship. I am thankful I have my dad with me one more summer -and he is close so I get to see him. Need to do the "I'm thankful for..." thinking today. Feeling very overwhelmed and inadequate lately.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

My oldest child (13) doesn't see her dad. Since the younger 3 kids will be at their dad's, we are going canoeing. I am not sure how I let her talk me into this stuff. Neither one of us have been before. It ought to be an adventure.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We will be visiting my grandad. My daughter's addict father can't even respond to letters from my lawyer so he certainly won't be being celebrated. My dad isn't an addict but is still a selfish loser. So we will be visiting my grandad, maybe going for a meal or something I've bought 'grandad' and 'great-grandad' cards and need to find a cute present off Daisy!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wow04 View Post
My oldest child (13) doesn't see her dad. Since the younger 3 kids will be at their dad's, we are going canoeing. I am not sure how I let her talk me into this stuff. Neither one of us have been before. It ought to be an adventure.
Canoeing sounds really fun. A perfect adventure for a 13yo, such great memories and bonding. Have a great day!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

See how healthy each of you are ~ making the best of it, regardless!

awesome!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ive decided to take my 2yr old son to visit family out of town & be my date to my cousins wedding!Holidays like fathers day are emotional for those of old enough to understand its significance &thankfully my son doesnt yet. I will try my best not to let my spirits get down. I already sent my dad a card w new pictures of us. Its been a month since my axbf has even called or seen my son so i doubt itll be any different. For my sons sake id allow them time together but leaving this weekend is a scapegoat for me bc i have a slight feeling my AX will try to be holiday dad like he always does and im not dealing w that!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

well PINK you know my history...kids dad is buried but so alive in our hearts!..

in the past we usually do spend the day together, doing one thing that he loved...eating ICE CREAM...so, every fathers day...is my day as an active ALIVE dad with a good cup of coffee, but end of the day, with DADs favourite ICE CREAM...(Cookies'n Cream BLIZZARD!)

Happy Fathers Day to all my SINGLE moms out there...because we do the best we can when dad is not physically around...
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

special hugs to you ((Fourmaggie))!!!

i pray that each of you feel his presence in a special way on Sunday!

lots of love & PINK HUGS!