Notices

Huge challenge coming up this weekend

Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Huge challenge coming up this weekend

I have been sober since Thanksgiving, so a little over 6 months. I feel great, my life has improved and I am becoming a better person. I have been a binge drinker for the past 10 years or so. I am in a wedding this weekend and will be with some old drinking buddies. They have an idea that I have 'cut back' on drinking but I am anticipating they will be getting quite drunk and I will have to keep alert and refuse any offer to drink. I have been around these friends since I have quit but they do not know that I am working to remain permanently sober.

Something I think will be helpful is to keep a non-alcoholic drink in my hand at all times. If people see I am drinking something, they may be less likely to offer me a drink. If an alcoholic drink is offered, I will say no thanks. I will be retiring to my hotel room early.

This will be my biggest test since quitting and I am confident I can handle it but I am still nervous. I know that I will either feel miserable the day after the wedding or I will feel great and stronger. I will feel great and stronger.

Please offer any support or advice. Have you been in this situation or something similar?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you could just be honest and say that you quit drinking.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this, and you will feel great the next day.

My advice is that 'No thanks' is enough to say, so enjoy your night.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is it fun dancing at a wedding without drinking?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a good dancer so I do it at home LOL but I enjoy it sober

D
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LDT

Mainza, I can tell you that it is an absolute BLAST dancing at a wedding without drinking. My daughter got married last January and I have never had as much complete fun at a reception as I did hers. My DH and I joyfully danced nearly every dance with the biggest smiles on our faces (the pictures tell the story). The next day I felt like I had run a marathon.....so sore......but so happy. And I remembered everything!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. It will be nice to actual remember the wedding and the reception.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's lots of tricks -
Walk around with a coke or orange juice and Make sure you are the only one that gets it. No one need know what's in it. If you leave it sitting where you can't see it, get yourself a fresh one. Make sure that it is never less than 1/2 full, that way no one will offer to get you another.

Always make sure that you have an escape route and if you need to leave - beetle out real quick. Also check around, there's probably quite a few going to the same function that are friends of Bill W.

Go to a meeting the day before, the day of (if you can) and the day after. Sort of like stocking your body up on vitamens during cold season.