Notices

Felt like I came from Outer space :)

Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Felt like I came from Outer space :)

Hi all.

5 months sober and last night I went to a big reunion in London, it was a Northern soul/scooter/ football thing from back in the day.

I was very apprehensive about going due to the amount of booze and other things that would be on the menu, I had to go I promised people I would be there as I failed to turn up at last one ( 3 weeks sober ).

It turned out to be great therapy for me, a reinforcement of what I am doing is just so correct, and why I will never go back.

I drove parked up and approached the pub, many where drinking outside it was 800pm and a pleasant evening, the strange thing is there was no cravings at all, it was dealing with the situation stone cold sober that was filling me with terror , I have done social things in My 5 months but this was a full on boozefest. I could tell many already looked half cut and red eyed, and a couple of women where very loud .
I went inside and met my friends who where already drinking , I bought a round and settled in with them I was drink diet coke, no one really noticed or said anything.
I would say from 8pm till 11pm it was ok, in fact I actually enjoyed it although it was still kind of strange, like could I possibly ever dance sober LOL ? I think I may be able to do that one day, that will be really groundbreaking.
After 11pm things changed, I noticed how situations could change to trouble like people drunk dancing while people drinking pints very close to dance floor, drunks at the bar swaying about, you really notice things and some of them are quite scary.
The worst thing was after a few hours , the total dullness of it all. I had people hug me and tell me how great I was ( hardly knew them that well) Not say it once but about 10 times. I spoke to a couple of fearsome guys from back in the day, they where totally wasted and I was thinking just how easy it would be to say the wrong thing and how easy a mad drunk may take offence, not a comfortable place to be in. In my 20s I often would get into a drunken situation in bar/club and this reminded me all to well why it is so easy for things to explode when you have a couple of hundred people drinking heavy in a small club, real scary.
My last 30 minutes in there was horrid, people where slobbering and hugging each other over and over, I knew it was time to go I lasted nearly 5 hours !
The relief and quite calm when I got home, poured myself a lovely glass of ice cold milk was heaven, I was sober and seeing so many drunks in an evening has cemented my sobriety solid.

Yes It was fun for a couple of hours.

Will I do that type of social event again, err no because in reality you need to numb your senses to stand there talking bs for 6 hours, doing this long sober is just an endurance. I will be very selective of events in my social calendar.

Drunks repeat things over and over again, they really are boring, they have no interest in what you have to say, But I cannot forgot I was like this for years but not no more.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

darkdays,

I loved reading your post....yeah, things look so different sober - reality can be a very good thing.

I congratulate you on showing up and being the sober guy. Thanks for the positive message.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post... Glad things turned out well for you and you had a good time for the most part. Being around drunk people is difficult... I like to go dancing occasionally but none of my friends get out of control when they're drinking and I'm able to still get on the floor without alcohol. I've ALWAYS had more fun on these nights, because if I had been drinking -- I'd be the reason they would be ruined.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

...and they awaken with a headache, etc, and feel that they had "such a great time!" LOL

sober is more fun, if you ask me. drunks are repetitive and mostly just boring (this coming from someone who doesn't believe in boredom...but who can be bored by drunks...and a hypocrite, cause I was one!)
Old 06-10-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job! Went to Sandals in the Bahamas last year where all food and booze were included. Figured if I got though that week could get through anything!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you, DD, well done!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post DD - and congratulations on your progress

D
Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post DD.... I totally felt the same way when at a party with others that were drunk. I couldnt imagine myself being one of them but I knew I was a classic drunk if I did drink.

Not much fun to listen to drunks say the same things over & over or hear them yelling and screaming for no apparent reason lol. There are many things much better to do with your evening thats for sure.

Thanks for your post & reminder of the pub scene... were not missing much
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for u! I've been in similar situations a few times too. Mostly when I was preggers and a couple of times this sober stint. 11pm is always the turning point I've noticed! That's when the bs starts and people talk at each other instead of to each other. I find it funny to watch, not for long tho then I'm outta there too.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done DarkDays, and well done on the 5 months!

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone about going out clubbing. I did that sober and had a great night (danced too and I'm not a dancer!) but my friend pointed out that some clubs you need to be wasted to enjoy it...! Why on earth would you pay a fortune to get in somewhere then have to spend a fortune on drink just so you could bear it? Those kind of places never made sense to me even when I was drinking. If I ever venture out again though I'll definitely be leaving early..the only real reason I ever stayed out late was to carry on drinking.

Keep up the good work x