Weekend home from rehab going well so far

Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend home from rehab going well so far

I picked my husband up at the airpoirt on Friday afternoon. We stopped on the way home at one of our favorite restaruants from the past. It was quiet and we ate on the patio and talked.

We went home and had a little time together before my parents brought our son back. We had a nice visit, and my dad invited him and his brother to go golfing with him today. So he is out playing golf right now and that makes me happy.

When we got home yesterday, he did somethign interesting I thought. He took his phone and laid it on the kitchen counter and wrote a note reminding himself to call his doctor at a certain time on Saturday and Sunday. I was impressed by that.

We had a quiet night really. We talked, played with our son, watched a movie.

He is very emotional. He seems to be dealing with a lot of regret and has said a lot of things to me that express this. Like he saw his sons room for the first time, and he told me how nice it looked, and commented on all the pictures I have in there of the two of us. I said sure, we are his mommy and daddy you know. Then he asked about how I got the crib and everything assembled, and I told him that the delivery people who brought it set it up. It was like he felt that was part of his job too, and he failed at that.
I made light of it, and told him that he was romaticizing every little thing, and making himself feel bad.

I told him I was sad that he missed so much with his son, these past 5 months, but really his little boy is just now starting to take on a real personality, and mostly all he missed was eating, sleeping, and lots of poo. That made him laugh . I just feel like it s best not to dwell on whats lost, and focus on whats to come.

This morning, he was the one who went in to check on our son first thing. He got to see how happy he is in the mornings. All smiling and bright eyed. I took this weekend opportunity to start on son on his first meal of rice cereal, so my husband got to spoon feed him, and we got to share in the pride of wow - he cat eat . It was like watery mush, but he did it.

And now he is playing golf.

Just wanted to share how its all going. Im feeling good so far. The therapist told me to think about how Im feeling this weekend as things unfold, and we will talk about it next week. So Im also trying to keep some logic and reason in my thinking so Im not just carried away by the emotion.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very nice weekend He's lucky to have you in his life.

Is he going back to rehab or is he discharged?
Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TJP. Oh thank you, that was a really sweet thing to say.

He has 30 days clean, but he is going back to rehab on Monday.

I think he is doing good. I know there are going to be lots of ups and downs, and we have a lot to work through, but tiny steps and I thinnk we have a good shot at this.

He thanked me again for getting him into rehab and said he wants to get better. he is concerned too because he feels really emotional right now, sort of depressed. Not so anxious anymmore. But he also knows a big part of it is clearing all the drugs and his body trying to figure out what the heck is going on. And the other big part is coming to terms with whats happened to his life since he started using. And that is what I think is just sinking in, beginning to spill out too.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankful you are having a wonderful weekend and pray for many more to come. --Just don't allow him to think he is well enough that he can skip out on rehab a little early.) The longer the better! So hope things continue to go well for your family.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One day at a time.....I hope that things continue to go well for you both.

gentle hugs
ke