Notices

Pub and pop.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pub and pop.

I'm venturing out to the pub tonight, to watch a rock type band. Never been in without having a beer, and don't have a clue what to drink. Hope temptation doesn't get the better of me.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

try a virgin rum and coke
Old 06-08-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think I would trust myself to go out to a pub at this point, but that's just me. If I did go out to a pub, I'd probably order a virgin Mary with lots of hot sauce.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nigel1969 View Post
I'm venturing out to the pub tonight, to watch a rock type band. Never been in without having a beer, and don't have a clue what to drink. Hope temptation doesn't get the better of me.
Why on earth would you put your sobriety at risk like that ??!!

Best of luck .......

Bob
Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's to see if I can accomplish it or not. Part of my goals, to find out how strong or weak I can be.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How many days sober are you Nigel...? I had to go to the pub quite a few times early on but I would have avoided it by choice. There is no shame in that. The fact that you 'hope' that temptation doesn't get the better of you doesn't suggest that you are strong in your recovery yet so why are you testing yourself now? Personally I found such occasions uncomfortable but now I'm enjoying going out without drinking. In the early days I was content enough curled up at home. That doesn't mean to say the same will be true for you but don't put yourself in a situation where you might 'accidentally' end up ordering beer just because you don't know what else to drink. That said, good luck! x
Old 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hang out at the barbershop long enough and yer gonna get a haircut.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm only a week into my new sober life, I just need to do it. I'm not on any program or getting help, its my own way of coping.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm only a week into my new sober life, I just need to do it. I'm not on any program or getting help, its my own way of coping.
Coping? Or setting yourself up to drink?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Oh nigel your plan does not sound a good one to me.

My own way of coping got me nowhere except drunk and I tried it for many years.

Congratulations on your week of sobriety.

I drink mineral water these days when out,sometimes I push the boat out and have a slice of lemon in it.

I wish you well.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I heard this in my meeting this morning....Maybe it was for you.

If you're going to dance with a bear....The bear is always going to lead.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck bro!

My experience with it in early sobriety, however, is that I can go once or twice ... maybe even three times without drinking but eventually, when I least expect it, it grabs me and bounces my head off the bar, kicks me in the stomach, tears my heart out, and spits in my face.

I would certainly never go without another sober alcoholic. And I would have to be very solid in my program, which at 33 days I am not even close.

That is MY experience.

Nonetheless, do what you need to do and I hope you succeed!!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd have to duct (or as we call it in Oregon, duck) tape my mouth and nose shut and tie my hands behind my back. Well, probably my feet, too. Testing my strength is one thing, but testing my weakness never worked for me.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Doesn't sound to me like you are ready for this if you're seeing it as a test. If you think there's a chance you could fail the test, don't take it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welp, i think thats 10 outta 12 alcoholics recommend staying away.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You may be strong one day and weak the next...so why take the gamble if you're not sure?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Unbelievable.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm definitely not the voice of experience here, but.... do yourself a favor and don't go. That's a major risk.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hoping isn't a plan. Hoping isn't solid. Unless you have a solid plan don't go. Is the music worth the risk? Are you setting yourself up for failure? Even if you go and don't drink are you going to come back from the experience happy you went or so distracted by the not drinking that you couldn't enjoy yourself? Early recovery is a good time to be introspective and isolate yourself from dangerous temptations. It doesn't mean that you'll never go to the pub again but it means that you won't go for a couple of months until you're grounded enough in sobriety that going to the pub isn't a miserable experience. Personally, i couldn't go to the grocery store alone (which i love doing) in early sobriety because i was too tempted to buy my vodka. It made it easier to break that habit for the long run by not tempting myself in early recovery. Just think about what you're doing to yourself. If you were on a diet would you go to a steak buffet with your friends and say "well, i'm just going to have the soup and salad." How miserable would that be? If it were me, i'd stay at home, read a little or engage myself in some other sober activity knowing that this is for the better for now and that i am building a strong base for my sobriety so i will eventually be strong enough to do what i want without fear of misery or relapse.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's to see if I can accomplish it or not. Part of my goals, to find out how strong or weak I can be.
Here is what you posted three days ago.

Hi, I've decided enoughs enough after vomiting black tar like contents on a heavy drinking bout last Sat. Had a black out, loss of memory and fell down numerous times trying to get home. 2 broken ribs and no drink later, I'm shaking and feel scared.