Coincidence?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coincidence?

I have been on this site for a while. Last night I finally decided to pick an avatar. I found and chose a picture of a starfish with the word "serenity" (a goal, not my current reality).

This afternoon I reached into my work mailbox and found an odd envelope. It was from a senior who is graduating tomorrow. In the envelope was a pin, in the shape of a starfish, attached to a piece of cardboard that contained the following story:

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.
One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, so he walked faster to catch up.
As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects and throwing them into the ocean.
He came closer still and called out, "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"
The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish into the ocean."
"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.
To this the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."
Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"
As if he hadn't heard, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he turned, smiled and said, "It made a difference to that one!"

It's not the first time Ive heard this story, but is the first starfish pin I've received and, combined with the avatar choice I'd just made, I'm feeling like the universe is trying to teach me something. I'm not quite sure what the lesson is yet, but it's gotten me thinking.

I know this isn't addiction related but I needed to share this with someone...
Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Great Post. Thank you for sharing!

I think it means - YOU are making a difference to many students and YOU are worth finding the goal of serenity. God bless you on your journey.

God is awesome!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It means God is with you. When we listen and seek, He answers.
I love you Heartbroken.
TT