Ok, this may be a dumb question but....

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Ok, this may be a dumb question but....

I am curious about something......

Do active addicts still get high or do they use to feel "normal."

My husband's DOC is percocets. He said he didn't get high from them after a while, he used them to "maintain."

I am wondering if thats true for all drugs?? If you're not getting high, why would anyone bother using?

ugh, I hate drugs!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addiction is progressive, the body gets a tolerance to the DOC and so it takes more to get the 'high'. The tolerance level just goes up and up so they need more and more. That's why so many addicts eventually lose everything I guess. Yesterday I heard of a woman who sold her couches and tv for heroin in the past 10 days, she has a 1 year old.
I know many addicts are chasing that first high aswell- you can never get it as 'good' as you remember your first times, but my ex used to chase that.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Ha, are you calling ME codependent? lol

I am in recovery and now I know MY problem is everyone else!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember when I first hit a board like this. I had so many questions and I needed many of the answers to be able to move on with keeping it just about me. And I asked this very one...

Yes it is true of all drugs, but opiates are different in one way because your husband could have one upped the percs, and most likely he could have one upped what he choose after until he hit the top of the chain.

Also the drug is only part of the problem for some addicts. They get addicted to the ritual, my husband loved copping, the risk involved, and it was a rush in itself. He love cooking it up too, the anticipation.
Some will shoot water to stop their heads from screaming…and it works, there is relief in that with no drug being injected, it is the act of shooting up. It is the same for smoking a drug, snorting a drug, there are rituals attached for many.

But to maintain and feel normal is very true.

And there is another thing some do, they quit to find the high again. Once your body isn’t using for a time, and you go back out, you will get high, but the brain doesn’t forget so within two or so days you are right back where you left off and it is the same old, same old trying to stay one step ahead of wd and just be ok. Most heroin addicts who lose their life to addiction were recently clean, most who just use day in and day out have a lower risk of od unless purity on the street dramatically changes and catches them off guard.

And sadly they know the risk, make no mistake about that and it is an acceptable one.

Oh and to make it even more twisted, and maybe the most important thing of all the drug is just a symptom of the disease, again the drug isn’t the issue they are their issue.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wow see I think that is true an addict knows the risk of od and if they keep using then the responsibility falls on them
I never heard of injecting water into your veins. thats wild just to make you think your using. crazy stuff.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LMN, this is probably a good question for the Substance Abuse forum. My AS used to abuse marijuana before he graduated to opiates. I know to many, weed doesn't sound like a big deal, but for him it was. He would smoke first thing in the morning, then throughout the day and before bed - he literally told me that he wanted to be high 24/7. Ultimately, he told me that he had to smoke just to feel normal, and that he really didn't enjoy it anymore. He began moving to opiates to get the high - first Vicodin, then ultimately heroin, first once a month, then a few times a month, then a few times a week, then every day. I don't think he ever reached the point (if there IS such a point) where the heroin no longer produced a high. Would he have reached such a point due to increasing tolerance? I have no idea. He is no longer with us.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by SeekingGrowth View Post
LMN, this is probably a good question for the Substance Abuse forum. My AS used to abuse marijuana before he graduated to opiates. I know to many, weed doesn't sound like a big deal, but for him it was. He would smoke first thing in the morning, then throughout the day and before bed - he literally told me that he wanted to be high 24/7. Ultimately, he told me that he had to smoke just to feel normal, and that he really didn't enjoy it anymore. He began moving to opiates to get the high - first Vicodin, then ultimately heroin, first once a month, then a few times a month, then a few times a week, then every day. I don't think he ever reached the point (if there IS such a point) where the heroin no longer produced a high. Would he have reached such a point due to increasing tolerance? I have no idea. He is no longer with us.
I am so sorry SeekingGrowth!