Notices

It could have been me

Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It could have been me

The front page news story is about a man that drove drunk, wrecked and killed hid daughter in the car. He could not control himself in the courtroom he was so stricken with grief. It was his third DUI.

I could have killed people so many times. In December of 2010 I was driving in a blackout, ran into a telephone pole and flipped my car. No other cars were involved and all I had was a cut on my neck from the seatbelt. My stomach hurts thinking about it.

If that isn't a sign that my Higher Power wants me sober I don't know what is.

I am praying for this man and his family. I can honestly say that I would blow my brains out if I killed another person.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Uk papers past few weeks have been full of drunk incidents, girls falling to their deaths from hotel balcony's, drunken rapes, drunken violent assaults , death by drink driving . Crazy that a drug that causes so much destruction and misery that one national paper, a paper which is often full of alcohell death news last week carried FIVE large adverts for alcohell in it on the same day !

Could not make it up.

Your Lucky Liz, stay sober for ever.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it is sad. i could be me. but i chose to stay sober today.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It couldve easily been me as well. Two weeks I am shocked it wasnt me. My heart breaks for those people. Its so senseless.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
The front page news story is about a man that drove drunk, wrecked and killed hid daughter in the car. He could not control himself in the courtroom he was so stricken with grief. It was his third DUI.

I could have killed people so many times. In December of 2010 I was driving in a blackout, ran into a telephone pole and flipped my car. No other cars were involved and all I had was a cut on my neck from the seatbelt. My stomach hurts thinking about it.

If that isn't a sign that my Higher Power wants me sober I don't know what is.

I am praying for this man and his family. I can honestly say that I would blow my brains out if I killed another person.

That's why it is called a disease. Nobody who was sane or had a choice would "decide" to pick up that drink, drive and kill their child.
That man is me !! I just hadn't quite killed anyone 'YET".

Prayers for forgiveness and recovery to him and his family.

All the best to everyone.

Bob R
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This makes me so sad ...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My 2nd to last drunk, I left a party to drive my truck to a town 15 kms away. I vaguely remember leaving the party. Next thing I remember is arguing with an RCMP officer 25 kms the opposite direction from the party, about whether I'd rolled truck or not.

Next day I pieced it all together - I'd driven to the town, drove around it for about an hour, then was on my way back to the party when I flew off the road at over 130 kph. Did several lateral rolls and at least one end for end. Took the windshield out with my head. Good thing I'm hard headed and luckily no one was hurt in the accident. Got an impaired, but my mom and dad came and bailed me out, so I wasn't thrown in cells.

At the time I was too fogged by alcohol for this incident to really hit home, and less than a week later I got another Impaired driving charge while driving through a town. This time though mom and dad didn't rescue me. The arresting officer treated me, in my opinion at the time, like an animal, but it was exactly because of these 2 incidents that I called AA the next morning.

About a week later the alcoholic fog started lifting and I was almost paralized by fear when I realized that, in all my driving around when I was drunk, there could be parents or family looking for me because I'd hit one of their kids, parents, or siblings. I hadn't, but it was only because God was protecting them from me. Took me almost a year to get over this fear, even though I went and talked to the local police to see if there'd been any hit and runs during these times.

This front page story could so easily have been me
Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My worst nightmare. There would have been two fatalities, because I would have killed myself afterwards. I drove so many times drunk - REALLY drunk - that it is a wonder I didn't make the front page. Guess that is my grateful thought of the day. Bless those innocent souls that were victims of a drunk driver.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Elisabeth, it's a sign your HP wants you sober and alive.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is one if the many reasons I choose not to drink.