I don't know how to help my friend

Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I don't know how to help my friend

Dear everyone--I'm new here, and very concerned about a new friend in my life. She passed out at a fast food restaurant today, and was taken to the hospital. While there, she had a hard time tracking our conversation, even though she seemed 'normal' to me in all other ways, conversing, etc. Pupils very dilated. I walked out of the room and she fell out of the bed. She tore her IV out, and became very combative and belligerent with her nurse, after (I guess) the nurse told her she'd torn the IV out. Called the nurse all kinds of names and said she wanted a new one. She insisted on leaving the hospital, and signed herself out, after we were told she had a blood alcohol level of .23. From what I've read, that's pretty intoxicated. She's 5'9, 170-180, and she told me she'd had 3 drinks, told the dr 2, and had her mom's rx tramadol in her purse. Insisted on leaving before we got her labs back. On the way back to her house she asked me why she passed out and didn't realize we'd left before her labs came back. I have only known her a few weeks, and really think she's cool, but I'm really worried about all this. I know she's recently divorced, had a suicide attempt in the past year or so, (stress, divorce,death in family), and she says her stepdad (she's 35, living w mom and stepdad now since divorce) is a horrible person (which has been verified to me via another of her friends, who also told me this friend has a lot of issues but didn't feel okay talking about someone else's business.) She also has told me about having a DUI about a year ago, that she didn't get to go to court for for six months (???) and now has no license for another four months. (I'm in FL if anyone has any input on this. I would think this would be a faster process?) I would hate to see her make more of a mess of her life than the drama she has now, but I am really wondering if this is a (mostly/strictly) alcohol related issue. We've had a few drinks together before, (I'm a serious lightweight) and yes she drank more than me but that isn't saying a lot and she didn't seem to be seriously inebriated then, though she drinks mixed drinks and I'm strictly a bud light kind of girl. I really think she's a sweet girl, and I want to help her, if I can. I just don't want to say/do the wrong thing and be counterproductive, either. My heart is hurting for her--I had a stepdad once that no one knew was an alcoholic til he tried to quit, his 'normal' was way, way drunk for most people, and he died at 47 from it. My stepdad now can put away a 12 pack and no one would know, so I know in some ways I know more than some but in others my viewpoint is already skewed. Any advice would be welcome, and anything I'm not clear about I would be willing to clarify, if this can help her. Thank you, sorry so long.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry, just realized I should have posted this in the Friends of Alcoholics spot. Mods, please move if you feel appropriate.