The Parents of your Grandchildren. . .

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

The Parents of your Grandchildren. . .

I post this not to condemn, point blame or shame anyone ~ but to only share my experience, strength and hope . . .

To share some of the pain, regret and things I wish I had thought of when living with active alcoholism/addiction for many years and the things I exposed my beautiful precious daughters to . . .

I have share often how I regret I didn't do more to protect my girls from the life they were exposed to ~ how I did not give them a healthy example of relationships, interaction with people and how to take good care of themselves ~ at least not until I turned 40 & they were in their late teens.

Today, my heart breaks for how they live their lives ~ but even more devasting is how my GRANDDAUGHTERS are affected by what I perceive as unhealthy choices.

I never even thought that these little girls I was bring up in the chaos would some day be the parents of my grandchildren ~ they would be raising children and my unhealthiness would be passed to them and then on down to my precious sweet grandchildren. . .

The heartbreak is even more so when it affects a grandchild ~

When we take steps to better our lives, no matter at what stage ~ at 20,30, 40 or 50 - whatever age - I just have to believe that someday, somehow it will affect our loved ones ~

I have faith that my girls see my changed behaviors, I have faith that my granddaughters see the difference in the way I don't react to things and the way that their mom's do ~ (not that I'm better than them ~ just that I've found tools to help deal with life) and that one day, they may want some of the same things for their lives too ~

So on those days you feel discouraged, that recovery is too hard, changing is too overwhelming, that you can't do this ~ remember you are not only fighting to change YOU, but you are fighting for your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to have the opportunity to see a healthier you ~ which in turn may give them the chance to be a healthier person too ~

You are worth it and so are they ~

Just my e, s, & h of a painful lesson learned trying to turn it into useful information today

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Beautiful share, Rita. Thank you so very much!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This made me cry. You are so right.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for this beautiful post.

It has really helped me to clarify that I have faith when it comes to families and faith when it comes to recovery.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just love this. Thank you for the perspective of a grandparent!
~T
Old 06-06-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautifully put and certainly something to ponder.
I wonder how my own children will be affected in the long term by their dads alcoholism and also the madness that went along with it. I've never given a thought to the next generation but it is a real threat to them also through their parents.
We live in hope....and pray that it will be different for them