Notices

Question about responsibility when on drugs

Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about responsibility when on drugs

Ive been with my boyfriend for a year. He did a lot of drugs before we met, but since we have been together there has only been one time that he used. Im not really worried about that happening again. Next week we are going back to his hometown to visit with family and have a little vacation. But we just found out that when he goes back there, he has to talk to the police about something that happened in his past. He doesn’t seem worried about it, and his family I guess has known about it for a while, but didn’t tell him because there is no warrant or anything like that, its just that he is wanted for questioning. His family has hired a really good attorney and he says one conversation and it will be over.
I had been reading online about this type of situation, and then I ran into you guys. I mean I know when people are on drugs they will do anything to get them, and whatever they do, they are still held accountable for their actions. That’s why I don’t see how they could blame anyone else for their actions. Isnt that right?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

If he's telling the truth, there shouldn't be any problem. Or if he pays the attorney enough.... We all blame others for our own actions, especially when on drugs, I know I did.... No one can predict the future....

Hugs,
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think this is a question only a lawyer and/or the police can answer. I hope it works out well for everyone and you enjoy your trip.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PinkChampagne

I'm not sure I can comment specifically on a situation I know next to nothing about...but yes I'm big on personal responsibility - being drunk or high is no excuse for bad or unlawful behaviour in my book, and most law enforcement authorities tend to take that line too I think.

I hope your bf is right, that it's nothing to worry about and you both can move on with your life from this point

D
Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Pink,

Being under the influence during the commision of a crime is considered a mitigating circumstance during any punishment phase that might occur--this would follow being charged and found guilty of a crime. Yes, an individual under the influence is fully responcible for any criminal acts that might be carried out.

However, based on what you have written, it doesn't sound like your boyfriend is likely to be charged with anything. If he himself is willing to speak to the pollice, and the parents (overly worried I'm assuming) have called up a lawyer, there probably isn't a whole lot to be concerned about. Perhaps they are looking for information on others in his social network, unless he tells you this can't be known. What can be known is if he was really worried, he wouldn't be planning on letting the cops know he was back in town at all---or, he woudn't bother going back for a visit.

I do hope everything will be OK; odds are they will be.

Best wishes~~~~