Notices

New and Unsure

Old 06-05-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Unsure

My husband and I started our recovery together. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not - since this is my first time. I have been in a 12 step program for 17 days so far, as is he. I have not had anything to drink, however he has - not much only 4 beers every 3 days or so...he says he needs it to sleep. The frustration is crazy. I know that I am in this for me and I can not control him or how he does - but it does truly effect me - not sure how to address it really. Hoping maybe someone here has some suggestions or experience with this.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Maydaisy

I can't advise on the general situation, but I think your husband needs reassurance that problems sleeping is very normal for us when we give up. I'm 6-7 weeks sober and am generally feeling great, but I haven't yet had an unbroken night's sleep. I know it will come, but until then I'll put up with poor sleep for as long as it takes for my body to re-learn how to sleep un-anaesthetised.

God bless you - you may have to go it alone, but that could also really help your husband as he sees that you can manage it - we blokes don't like being outdone by you girls ;-)
Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maydaisy View Post
My husband and I started our recovery together. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not - since this is my first time. I have been in a 12 step program for 17 days so far, as is he. I have not had anything to drink, however he has - not much only 4 beers every 3 days or so...he says he needs it to sleep. The frustration is crazy. I know that I am in this for me and I can not control him or how he does - but it does truly effect me - not sure how to address it really. Hoping maybe someone here has some suggestions or experience with this.
Well, it's going to effect you as you let it.

Problems have the size and weight you allow.

Drop the rock.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep on with it, alone if necessary. If he's still drinking then he's not 'in' a 12 step program, he's still on the edge. Saying he needs it to sleep is an excuse and he's fooling himself. I think Michael66 says it pretty well, get yourself well and lead by example.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tell him you're in this for the long run, that he'd better be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

Good luck, I wish you both the best.

Bob R
Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol interferes with normal sleep patterns; both REM and slow wave sleep. He's deluding himself that he needs it to sleep. The longer he drinks, the harder it will be for him to establish normal sleeping patterns again. That is his problem.

You are on here writing! Bravo on your current sober time of 17 days and being in a program of recovery. Focus on you and your recovery, that is all you can do right now. Do you have a sponsor? That is where you would direct this situation. When I am upset with someone else, I have to take a look at me and why I am bothered. Pages 66-67 and page 417 of the big book help. Then I can work through it. I am powerless over other people, places, and things. Pages 62-63 also help.

Glad you are here! Stay strong and stay stopped!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome maydaisy

many members here deal with spouses still drinking...it's harder perhaps but it needn't be a dealbreaker for you - unless you let it be

I hope your husband will decide to follow your recovery example

D
Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Maydaisy....Get alcohol out of your life for you....And don't let anybody get in the way of what you are doing....Anybody. Enjoy your new life and congrats on 17 days!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Maydaisy,

Easier said than done, I know, but try not to worry about what your husband is doing right now. My husband is a nightly heavy drinker who always keeps wine and beer in the house. I've wanted to do something about my drinking problem for a long time, but I felt that I couldn't do it alone, not with alcohol in the house all the time. So I kept waiting for him to want to quit too, we could do it together.

He does not want to quit though. He knows he should, he knows he has a problem, but he's not ready. I finally realized that by waiting for him to quit with me, I was making an excuse to not quit myself. So I'm doing it on my own, seeing him drink every night, fighting off my own cravings the whole time. (Didn't do such a good job fighting the cravings last weekend, but moving on ....)

It's really hard, I won't lie. But by making this about myself and worrying less about what he's doing, I've managed to get a few sober days under my belt. Some days are easier than others, and I imagine that in a while it will continue to get easier. Sobriety is a battle, and we all have challenges. My challenge is seeing and smelling alcohol every day. It sucks, but other people on here have managed to quit under similar conditions, and I'm doing it too.

I hope to set a positive example for my husband. Sometimes we just have to decide to go ahead and lead the way. Show him how it's done. When he sees the positive changes in me, maybe he'll want that for himself. That's my hope, but who knows if he'll ever quit. I just can't worry about that now; I'm busy trying to save my own ass here.

Come post on the forum when it's bothering you. I've been doing that a lot, and it helps to know you're not alone.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your supportive and honest words. It is hard, I am committed, and I hope at some point he is too - this is harder than i thought - but I am determined to make it work. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you determined to do it...And willing to do what it takes...Nothing can stop you. Are you in AA?....Or is it a different 12 step program?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I get it. My husband knows Ive been trying to get sober for over a year. He continued to drink. I havent brought it up in a long time and LO AND BEHOLD...its day 2 he hasnt drank. Thats HUGE for us!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
I get it. My husband knows Ive been trying to get sober for over a year. He continued to drink. I havent brought it up in a long time and LO AND BEHOLD...its day 2 he hasnt drank. Thats HUGE for us!
That's awesome!...Congrats to both of you!!