Notices

Drying out after 20 years

Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drying out after 20 years

Hi, I've decided enoughs enough after vomiting black tar like contents on a heavy drinking bout last Sat. Had a black out, loss of memory and fell down numerous times trying to get home. 2 broken ribs and no drink later, I'm shaking and feel scared.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Nigel. If you feel too bad, maybe you should get to an ER and let them check you out. Alcohol detox is dangerous and you really shouldn't do it alone. Is there someone you can call?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was in hospital over the weekend, if I start to feel any worse I'll give them a call. Just don't like to bother them, it's all self inflicted. My main is to stop drinking for as long as I can. Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not a bother its there profession, I've been to ER several times and was always treated with care and kindness and I was treated. Do what you need to do for help friend
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Where you based Nigel? I was going to suggest if UK ring the NHS helpline. I wouldn't worry about bothering anyone re. going back to the hospital though.... they've seen it all, there is a lot of self-infliction going on that isn't just booze related. The helpline will probably tell you to get to your doctor/ER.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you went to ER. Black tar vomit is sometimes an indication of internal bleeding. As MycoolFitz says, It's their profession. That's your tax dollars or insurance dollars at work.

SR is a good place to be. I suggest you supplement it with a structured recovery program though. The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking. Doesn't say you have to be an alcoholic and that's up to you to decide whether you are or not.

If you don't want to repeat the drying out experience that you've just gone through then you need to take actual steps and just think, if you haven't taken a drink since the Saturday event, then you're alread 3 days into a better life
Old 06-05-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks I am in the UK, and just going to sleep it off, if no better tomorrow, I'm going to seek further help. Hope your all feeling well, and your life is better without the booze.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Nigel... I'm 10 week's sober and a lot better. I was drinking for about 26 years... longest without a drink in 18 of those was a week.

I'm now in the process of re-building my life minus alcohol (and though it's taking a while, I'm glad to have done it).

Hang in there, and get medical advice from NHS if needs be. They've heard all sorts, I rung them once when I accidentally took too many painkillers after not reading the instructions. The helpline were great.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I would also see a doctor, you could have internal bleeding as FredG said. Black tar or coffee grounds are not good signs.

Please get checked out!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Nigel

I'm glad you sought medical treatment on the weekend - like others have said don't hesitate to call them again if you need to - after all, hospitals treat all manner of self inflicted wounds too

D
Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Nigel. I hope you come back and continue to talk about things - it helps not to try and handle it alone.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

getting off the booze, "drying out," is the most unpleasant thing I as a human being have ever done. I'm still doing it. I'm counting seconds now. Hang in there. I'll be right with you.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I strongly suggest you follow up with your Dr. Alcohol is very dangerous to come off of. You indicated you have drank for many years. You really need to consult a Dr. You will feel bad for awhile. After I almost drank myself to death in April (was in ICU for 2 days) it took quite a while to return to my feeling of normal.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! If in doubt, seek medical help. You don't need to tough out the shakes by yourself, medication can help.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the start of a great new life! I found the first couple of weeks tough and miserable but it soon started to get much better and easier after that.

Keep posting here and you'll get plenty of understanding, support, advice and love.

God bless.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your support, I'm feeling a little better than yesterday, at least the shakings stopped. Pulling my hair out with boredom now. Trying not to think of drink.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

dont think about apples............. prolly gonna start thinkin about em. you cant control what thoughts enter yer mind, but you can control your actions.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well Nigel - glad to hear that you're feeling better. It's going to be up and down for a while but definitely worth going through. One thing that I found out when I came out from under the fog was that I loved to do water paintings. Wasn't very good in the beginning, in fact I believe a 2 year old would have done better, but it occupied my mind and my hands. Maybe you have something like this just waiting to get out.

Either way, if you're serious about recovery, you need to get out and get with some like minded individuals where you can help each other to get better. AA springs to mind.

In the mean time, you need to drink LOTs of water to rehydrate your body. If you are a caffiene fiend like I am, you should back off just a little on it because it's a diuretic (makes you pee a lot). Don't stop it just cut back. One addiction at a time. Wouldn't hurt to get some sort of power drink with lots of electrolytes in it to replace the ones you've lost or talk to your Dr. about rehydrating your body.

Keep it up - you're on the right track. It's a good idea to remember EXACTLY what you've gone through and are going through, complete with the vomiting, weakness, and all the pain. It'll help you when you do think about taking another drink
Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks for all your advice, esp the painting, I'm going to give it a go, hopefully it passes my time easier. Glad your doing well, sounds like your enjoying your life more now. I'm craving a beer, but gonna stick to my guns. Water and tomato juice it is.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FredG View Post
SR is a good place to be. I suggest you supplement it with a structured recovery program though. The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking. Doesn't say you have to be an alcoholic and that's up to you to decide whether you are or not.
I can't stress this enough - especially if you're having craivings