Notices

Was on day 5

Old 06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was on day 5

Hi,
I am new here. I am not a social person at all, so I was hoping to find a way to recover without going to meetings. I have a really good friend that has been sober for quite some time. I help him on his farm daily (for the next couple of days) but today, I decided to drink for whatever reason. I drink whatever I buy, so if I buy a 6 pack I drink it all. I get the cravings pretty frequently. Today was day 5, but then I broke down and bought a 6 pack and some 24s. How do I talk to him about my problem or what do I need to do? I am incredibly independent and not used to relying on others for help.

Thanks a ton!!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Keithy

some of us have found that just being on SR is enough - others have found they need more...

If you find social interaction just too hard Rational Recovery might be a good fit for you in that they don't have meetings...check in our secular forum for more info (link below)

online meetings might be an option too - I know AA, and other programmes like SMART offer those.

Here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

and here's the link to our Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach, like RR.

D
Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a social person either. I use Rational Recovery. Quit on April 21 this year so I'm new at it. If you go to the RR site there's what they call the "crash course". It's working for me and only takes a few minutes to read...I read it every few days. I also ordered the book used on Amazon... Hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello! SR is my saving grace. I cant be at meetings all day long. I can log into SR 24/7. Remember though...you dont have to be social to goto AA. Just listen.

BTW--Im like you. I never wasted alcohol. It killed me to see people leave half drunk glasses too.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by keithy View Post
How do I talk to him about my problem or what do I need to do?
Start with telling him exactly what you told us. That your way isn't working. Ask him what he did to stay sober.

And listen.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exactly...If your friend that has been sober for some time has been using AA...Ask him to take you to a meeting. You don't have to say a word. Just listen. If he's not using AA...Ask him how he's stayed sober for quite some time and have him show you that. There is nothing wrong with asking for help...I'll bet you won't find many people with long term sobriety that didn't ask for help at some point. Good luck to you....Talk to your friend.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

AA is full of people who don't like to be in a group of people. Ironic, but true.

What ever works, do it well. Rational Recovery, SMART, or others are available, if you search for them.

I did the same as you, drank whatever I bought...

I wish you well!!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the help guys. I am starting the rational recovery site. Today I haven't felt like drinking, but I did over-indulge yesterday. I am going to talk to my friend today I think. There is a large age gap (I am 22 and he is 65+) and see what he has to say. I think this forum will help me so I can have some support.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi...me again....that is exactly the way I am also. Very independent and self-reliant. That's why I use RR. It's very empowering. In time the addictive voice quiets down. If you type AVRT in the search you'll find links for RR. (addictive voice recognition technique).....have a wonderful sober day.