The purpose of life.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The purpose of life.

I'm reading an interesting book called "If The Buddha Got Stuck". It deals with attitudes and tools to use in getting yourself unstuck from situations and developing an unstuck mentality where you take care of yourself.

One statement that really smacked me between the eyes was about what is the purpose or meaning of life. The answer is: to live.

I have had all sorts of different beliefs and such but that one really got to me. I have been looking at my life as a noun. I am a ... enabler, codie, husband, father, grandfather and so on.

Life isn't a noun, it is a verb. It's not something I am, it's something I do. Such a slight little twist in perspective has had a major impact on how I am viewing my life.

Your friend,
Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this, Mike. Hope you share more!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mike,

Please do share more of this stuff from Buddha.
I appreciate it.
Yes, life is to live.
Just as love is a verb.

Beth
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love this, thanks for sharing. I tried to reserve it at my local library & found that the last person to check it out hasn't brought it back in a couple of years. How very enlightened, lol!

I'm going to check into getting it on my Kindle, this sounds like something I would definitely enjoy reading. I'm getting ready to re-read the Four Agreements because I was recently discussing it with someone else & figured I could use a refresher now.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, perfect timing on this! Please share more insights from this book.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Serenity and enlightenment are very similar IMO. When you are serene, you are in the moment, relaxed, accepting reality as it is, not judging, just experiencing.

Between Buddhism and my program I have moved away from concepts like right or wrong and am seeing things more as choices and consequences. Consequences are neither good nor bad but simply the result of our choice. Can't say I see things that way as much as I like but I at least see it that way some of the time.

I like the raft concept a lot as well. The Dharma is a tool, when you are done with the tool put it down. There isn't any need to carry it around any more.

Right now I am still sitting on my raft. At least I spend most of my time drifting with the current rather than fighting it. I'm not anywhere close to the point where I can give up the raft, accept that there is no other side and simply let go and be the river. But I can dangle my feet in the river, relax and say "Dude this is cool, I like this trip".

Your friend,
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ady gil View Post
Oh...I should clarify the book I'm reading is Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steven Hagen. I'm interested in reading the one Mike is talking about too though.
I highly recommend that book to anyone looking for a clear explanation of Buddhism with out all the mumbo-jumbo.

Your friend,
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love the idea of the raft, as I wait for my noon Al-Anon meeting. Every once in a while I sit on the edge and get overly confident. Before I know it I am sliding off the side! Big splash - get water up my nose, and pull myself back onto the darn raft again.

I am buying these books. I rafted a lot years ago with a dear boyfriend...used to love to stick my feet in the water.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would like to add to this. Life is about living, but to me it really is about serving others. We can all live in selfish ways which by nature is addictions core... BUT to serve is to recover out of self and live by serving others.

I don't believe in Budda, but Christ. I believe in grace. That belief in God and Grace has allowed me to be sober today for 20 years, buried a wife, and lead my kids and now two other kids with my new wife. Grace saved me. Serving keeps me humble.

AG

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
I'm reading an interesting book called "If The Buddha Got Stuck". It deals with attitudes and tools to use in getting yourself unstuck from situations and developing an unstuck mentality where you take care of yourself.

One statement that really smacked me between the eyes was about what is the purpose or meaning of life. The answer is: to live.

I have had all sorts of different beliefs and such but that one really got to me. I have been looking at my life as a noun. I am a ... enabler, codie, husband, father, grandfather and so on.

Life isn't a noun, it is a verb. It's not something I am, it's something I do. Such a slight little twist in perspective has had a major impact on how I am viewing my life.

Your friend,
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AG, congratulations on your long term sobriety.

In case you didn't know, Buddha is not someone you believe in, he was just a normal man and a teacher. The Buddha, when translated simple means someone who is awake. That's all.

Your friend,
Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
AG, congratulations on your long term sobriety.

In case you didn't know, Buddha is not someone you believe in, he was just a normal man and a teacher. The Buddha, when translated simple means someone who is awake. That's all.

Your friend,
Mike
I graduated from Cinnaminson HS... lol... Small world.
AG
Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok - I just downloaded this book...may be a few days before I can get to reading it but I am excited for some new wisdom and spiritual connectedness. Thanks for recommending, Mike!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think what makes Buddhism so interesting to me is that it isn't a single thing. It varies from a basic philosophy to strong meditation and mindfulness to a religion full of gods and demons and what have you depending on which flavor your looking at. And then as you look at each flavor you will find it is made of all sorts of different flavors from preceding teachers. It is totally wrong to change Buddhism but the Buddha told everyone to change it and trust me everyone did. It is full of folk wisdom and deep paradoxes and more layers than an onion. Every one of them is true and every one of them is false both at the same time.

My Buddhism changes everyday. Some days it is a simple "be here now" philosophy. Some days it is delving into the idea that reality simply is and to use language to describe it is like trying to paint a master piece that has millions of colors with 3 crayons. It is always something different and always something the same. Some days it is very easy to grasp and simply be and other days it is so difficult and slips through my fingers like water. It is never boring.

Its basic teaching that i think anyone in recovery would understand is that pain is inevitable and suffering is optional. Of course the basic teaching tomorrow will be that life is change and everything is changing and nothing stays the same including us. Then the next day the basic teaching is that there are causes and conditions for everything and that nothing just happens on its own. And then the next day the basic teaching is ....

Your friend,
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If the Buddha Got Stuck has been awesome so far. It is written by a therapist who is also a Buddhist. She presents Buddhism from a very western and a therapy point of view. It is tying my Buddhism and my recovery together in ways that make so much sense.

For example her view of suffering which is very big in both Buddhism and recovery:
—there is an incongruence or sense of being off center. This leads to what Buddhism refers to as samsara—the wheel of suffering—having unconscious, repetitive emotional responses to life’s situations . . . a.k.a. being stuck.

Kasl, Charlotte (2005-01-04). If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path (Compass) (p. 20). Penguin Group. Kindle Edition.
Wow, just freaking wow. I have been stuck with my AW for a long long time. I am in the process of getting unstuck and divorced. It is scary and I feel like my raft is going through some rapids at times. I feel unsure and unsteady right now but I do not feel stuck. And that is progress.

Your friend,
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love the parallels between Buddhism and recovery. I posted this back in 2008. Seems like this is a good thread to revive it in.

This too shall pass........
I always thought of this as one of the somewhat trite, but useful 12-step slogans designed to help when times are tough.

I’ve read “A New Earth” by Eckhart Tolle, and have been watching the webcasts with Oprah on Monday nights. This past Monday, they discussed this phrase and it’s meaning. I learned that there is a much more profound meaning and usefulness to it than I ever knew.

“This too shall pass” can and should be applied to everything in life, because everything in life is transient. The only thing I can truly count on in life is change. People and relationships come and go, situations change, and I change.

Now, at first I thought how depressing to think that “this too shall pass” when things are going great and life is good. But, Tolle said that if you do not accept that things will change, especially when things are good, then you live in a place of fear. If you cling to the good parts of life, denying the inevitability of change, you can never truly enjoy with passion the things that are good. The dark cloud of fear will dampen your enthusiasm and enjoyment of the present moment unless you are at peace knowing that, no matter what is happening, “this too shall pass.” And all that clinging and fearfulness only causes more pain and suffering when things do change, as they inevitably will.

Here is a story to illustrate the point.

From the Zen Master Achaan Chah "At a gathering of students one person asked him to explain the Buddha's teaching. He motioned to a glass sitting to the side of him. "Do you see this glass?" he asked. "I love this glass. It holds water admirably. When the sun shines on it, it reflects the light beautifully. When I tap it, it has a lovely ring. Yet for me, this glass is already broken. When the wind knocks it over or my elbow knocks it off the shelf and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, 'Of course'. When I understand that this glass is already broken, every minute with it is precious.
So, not only do I see how this phrase can help me when I've hit a rough spot, but now I see how it can be applied to all of my life. WOW! I just wanted to share as this has been my AHA for the week.

L
Old 06-05-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is too much change for me, I need right and wrong. I need 10 commandments, I need a savior and a God. Buddhism has many good teaching but it's premise of change is at odds with my faith. I need more. I'm glad it works for you and I hope it continues to.

By the way we can paint a million colors with just three colors, the computer you are looking at right now does it with only Red, Green and Blue. Off topic, but of interest to me as an artist, I have read that we only use a small percentage of the cones and rods in the eye to relay the colors we know. It is said that in heaven (I know you may or may not believe in heaven) with our perfected bodies we will use all of the cones and rods and be able to see all the colors that are now hidden.

I was taught the purpose of life was to serve God and praise God, thereby serving humanity with good works.

peace.