Notices

A "Normie's" Struggle...

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A "Normie's" Struggle...

Just thought I'd share something I heard the other day that has helped me remain grateful.

Was talking to one of my normie friends the other day about how hard it is to quit drinking - and I mentioned that I'm struggling to stay sober and struggling to get more out of life.

She said she struggles too on a daily basis and that her biggest struggle is to be content with what she has.

For some reason this popped out at me - I've been trying to use that sentiment lately.

I spend a lot of time wishing things were different. It's time to start accepting things for what they are.

I'm not struggling against anything anymore - I'm struggling for contentment - that little change in perspective has been helping me.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Lydie...

I too find myself wishing that things were different, that I were different. When I get like that I have to remind myself that if I stew on these things I cannot change -- I will be stuck in this moment for the rest of my life and will lose the motivation and determination toward the things I CAN change.

The nice thing about this amazing Universe we live in, is there are tons of things to find wonderment, thus contentment in, if you're willing to celebrate the little things. There is that saying that goes something like "happiness is a journey, not a destination," and that is definitely important to keep in perspective.

I hope a little contentment comes you way today!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post lydie and great added insight EXM. I would be interested to see what your friends tools are, when she is struggling to be content with what she has. I think a lot of us would say that when we are discontented with what we have, or we don't have the patience to wait for what we are working towards in life, we say "Screw it" and pour ourselves a drink. What does your friend do?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She says she just sits back and "takes stock" - looking at what she HAS instead of what she DOESN'T
Hard sometimes I know - but do-able. Even at my worst moments I had something GOOD. Just hard to see when my eyes were fuzzy with Smirnoff.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds good, think I'll do a little stock-taking today myself then.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me too oneless, feeling a bit cranky and can use a reminder about the great things I actually have in my life.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Last edited by walktheline1; 06-04-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Accidently posted twice. Can't delete this one.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The more I talk to people about my drinking issues the more I realize everyone has issues of some sort. We just have tendencies to deal with our issues in more destructive ways. As bad as it is to say, it's nice to know that "normies" have issues just like us. :-)