Notices

I'm a newbie & just wanted to say HI !

Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a newbie & just wanted to say HI !

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum. Last night I decided after consuming copious amount of alcohol that this is it for me. I am scared but can see all the reasons why this is necessary for me. I am a high functioning alcoholic from a long line of them in my family and most people would have no idea to the extent of my addiction. I am a mum, wife, professional, student and an alcoholic My life is super busy and I think part of the reason I started drinking was because it was a stress release at the end of the day... kind of a reward for making it through the day... my time ! I am an anxious person and I quickly realised that alcohol allowed me to not think ! I didn't worry as much.. I was numb ! Well, now that has to change... today is day 1 ! I hope that I will be able to get support on this forum and that with time I too will be able to pass the knowledge I learn here on to others and help them too.

Anyway... just wanted to say hi !
Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Eihwaz

D
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((Eihwaz)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! You've come to the right place for support; this forum is great. I'm pretty new to this do sobriety thing myself, and the people here have really helped me. Anyway, stick around; I think you'll like it here.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Eihwaz and welcome to the forum!

I could have written your post..... I loved alcohol because it turned my brain off. I'm always going a mile a minute and it was my stress-reliever (or so I thought!). In the end, it only added to my anxiety and left me dreading the day.

Glad you're here - things really will get better!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Keep posting and reading there is plenty of people who like to help here! Glad you are aware and now you can do something about, God Bless!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Eihwaz...Glad to have you aboard...You have a great attitude.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family! I started out drinking to relieve anxiety & have a little 'vacation' from reality. At the end of my drinking career alcohol was the thing causing all my anxiety and stress. Who knew? I'm so glad we are figuring it out at last.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to S/R. This is a great forum of people who will support and encourage you. Glad you are here.

Love and Blessings
Chrisy
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Eihwaz. Week 3 here and this forum has made it possible. I'm sure you will find the support and answers you are looking for here.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, Eiwhaz. You have come to the right place. For me, alcohol worked to relieve my stress and anxiety until it didn't, and then it never did again no matter how hard I tried. I needed to find other ways to deal with the rigors of my day that didn't involve drinking, but I had to stop drinking to find them

Two of our moderators, Hevyn and Artsoul, said some profound things in their messages to you. Pay attention to them.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone ! It is so amazing to hear from so many people so quickly. I can tell this forum is going to become a life saver for me... I am feeling the love
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Old 06-03-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR has been a lifesaver for me these past 10 days. Dive right in!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! Alcohol was my great "nummer"... when I stopped drinking and started "thawing out" - my eyes would "leak" a lot. Seemed I needed to cry over things that I had numbed all those years. Thank God for the wise people of AA to be there and tell me that it was all a normal process of recovery. This is a "WE" program - we reach hands out to you so that if you stumble along the way we will steady you. Just like others who have come here before us. I find that if I remember what it felt like, how I was miserable and self loathing, those recollections help me in my endeavor to stay sober. Hold on to Whatever helps!! we are all glad you are here.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Got through Day 1 WHOO HOO !!! Thank you for your support
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

One day down and more to come...good going!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great job Eihwaz on day 1 and welcome! Like others have agreed, I too drank to calm my nerves/anxiety. Took being sober for 2 weeks to realize my anxiety after a night of drinking was much worse than my anxiety without drinking at all. Go figure. What I thought was the solution to my anxiety was actually making it worse, but because I thought drinking was the solution, I kept doing it all over again! Did that make sense?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Eihwaz, this is a fantastic place to come to for support.

I can relate to you, I'm also managing a career, family, and alcoholism on the surface of it very well! In the past year I've been promoted at work and I'm pretty well respected there I think.

Obviously the real me has relied on alcohol to numb those feelings of crippling self-doubt and fear... that it's only a matter of time before I'm found out as a fraud...I'm not really as clever as everyone else and I've just been lucky so far!
No-one would guess that's how I feel and I've become an expert at smiling and carrying on. People respect me! Unbelievable! What poor unsuspecting fools!

My drinking spiralled out of control. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I became suicidal....but I never missed a day at work.

Finally I sought help, found this forum and started to go to AA.

It's early days, but my life has change unbelievably. Yours can too.
Read what people have to say, what works for them and what hasn't. Keep posting. It really can change your life x