Predrink blackouts?

Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Predrink blackouts?

Not that the answer will make a difference to my decision. (Should i even bother asking?) Anyhow...

I told my Abf before he came back from detox he could chose to live with me again or to drink. He's had a 1day bender a few weeks ago, so next weekend he will be moving.

In a discussion last night he said that he 'never really choose to drink, i don't even remember if i went to a bar or off sale, its like i blacked out.'

So, is it possible to 'black-out' without having had a drink yet? As a smoker I understand how you can fixate on the craving/need/whatever and everything else is kind of a blur.

He's leaving either way. Id just like to know for my own sanity as my initial thought was 'what a B$ excuse.' I'm no expert so id like to find out more before i put in my final decision.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

he might not remember now what he did before drinking last time, but a pre-drink blackout? other then a fried short term memory i don't believe it.....

he probably just doesn't want to talk about the whole thing, or it seems really far in the past....
Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree with scrambled...especially since he had been through detox and there was currently no alcohol in his system. I too think he just doesn't want to talk about it.

I hope you will stick to your boundary. Addicts are master manipulators and will lie when telling the truth would be much easier.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It's very possible. After many years of severe alcohol abuse it is possible that it has effected his memory even while sober. It's never talked about but at some point many alcoholics do damage that is not reversible. I believe it's called "wet brain".
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

He's full of it.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Wet brain- an encephalopathy... if you wanted to know, lol