Notices

My first post

Old 06-02-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face My first post

Hey guys this is my first post so I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Sean im 26 years old and im from the not so great state of Texas. About 2 weeks ago I finally came to the conclusion that im addicted to pills(mainly opiates and if im out of that then ill take whatever I can get my hands on). I came to this forum to get help because honestly I have no idea on where to go or how to act on this situation.
I apologize for the long message and hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi jedisean! Your post is not long at all.....and even if it was we wouldn't care You're in a good place here. My D.O.C. was alcohol, so I can't really give you suggestions for your particular situation. But rest assured......someone will be along soon with a lot of good advice.

I just wanted to say welcome! (p.s....Hope you don't mind if I tell you I really like Texas.... a lot! I was born there).
Old 06-02-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the humble welcome LDT hope you're doing well on your alcohol recovery. My big brother had a alcohol addiction and is currently in AA and all that jazz and struggled immensely so major props to you!( it probably wasn't easy)
Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

hi Sean and welcome! The substance abuse section of Sober Recovery can be found here Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I find ALL sections of these forums have lots to offer and the newcomers section is always full of lively discussion and tons of information and experience.

I attended NA meetings when I first got clean. There are no meetings where I live now, but I still have a sponsor and use the NA literature and resources as a huge part of my recovery.

It is SO great that you are addressing this now and not waiting until your life is a total wreck and you have let way too many decades pass you by.

I look forward to getting to know you better!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you have decided to stop using drugs. We can offer you support and information, and I hope that you keep posting and reading here.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I decided to quit drinking....I connected to the program of AA.
Works really well for me...
Sooo...I suggest you find a local meeting of Narcotics Anonymous

Welcome...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you have decided to stop using drugs. We can offer you support and information, and I hope that you keep posting and reading here.
thank you so much and yes tonight im going to be lurking through the threads trying to get a feel for this place....though maybe I should have done that first?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
When I decided to quit drinking....I connected to the program of AA.
Works really well for me...
Sooo...I suggest you find a local meeting of Narcotics Anonymous

Welcome...
Good for you and I hope everything has worked out for you! I do plan on going to aa but I lack the tools to quit and i'd like to be more prepared for aa...(did that sound like a typical excuse of a user?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((Jedisean)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jedisean View Post
I do plan on going to aa but I lack the tools to quit and i'd like to be more prepared for aa...(did that sound like a typical excuse of a user?
I've heard a lot of them....That's a good one. AA is where you go to get the tools...How's your brother doing with it?...Can he show you around?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I've heard a lot of them....That's a good one. AA is where you go to get the tools...How's your brother doing with it?...Can he show you around?
Nobody knows about it which make it suck...Im going to tell my dad eventually I just dont know when. He is doing pretty good though he has been talking about alcohol ALOT lately
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
((Jedisean)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Thanks Amy i really appreciate it. And super cool user name btw
Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

that's awesome that you've admitted to yourself you have a problem. that's the first step! find some local NA or AA meetings and go from there. or try to get into an outpatient program. glad you're here, and congrats on your sober days!!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nobody knows about it which make it suck...Im going to tell my dad eventually I just dont know when. He is doing pretty good though he has been talking about alcohol ALOT lately
Why can't you talk to your brother about it...Do you drink also?...Or just pills?
Old 06-02-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jedisean!

Glad you decided to join us - none of us can do this on our own and you picked a great place for support! I was addicted to alcohol and it was pretty scary to think about giving it up, but now I would trade my sobriety for anything in the world.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Why can't you talk to your brother about it...Do you drink also?...Or just pills?
sorry for late response(internet problems) Well I can but I just think he already has alot on his plate I dont want to "bother" him about it though I know he will be beyond accepting about it
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theysayimcrazy View Post
that's awesome that you've admitted to yourself you have a problem. that's the first step! find some local NA or AA meetings and go from there. or try to get into an outpatient program. glad you're here, and congrats on your sober days!!
thank you im very excited and scared about my future
Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

sorry for late response(internet problems) Well I can but I just think he already has alot on his plate I dont want to "bother" him about it though I know he will be beyond accepting about it
It's good to know you can...If you really need to. I have the opposite problem...I'm trying to get my younger brother into AA...But he's too smart for it...He can't get more than a month together...And I'm gonna have a year before long. I've never seen anyone to dumb to get this program...But I've seen people to smart to get it. This is a good site to dump some of that stuff...We've all been there one way or the other....I wish you the best. I'm glad you are here.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

No preparation needed to go to AA. Just get to a meeting. Bother your brother, he can lead you in the right direction or maybe to another person.

Glad you are here!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Sean - you'll find a lot of ideas here and a lot of different approaches

D