Notices

It is possible to have a great night without alcohol!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is possible to have a great night without alcohol!!!

Hi everyone, I hope you are all looking forward to the long Bank Holiday weekend x

I have just got back in from a night out with a good friend of mine. I was in two minds about going out as I knew we were going to be a winebar, and that my friend would be drinking. I did have a conversation with myself early re: having just one or two drinks, after all I knew I could control it now... and then I told myself very sternly that I had to stop fooling myself... it would never be just one or two and that if I was going to go, it could be only if I didn't drink.

Well, I had a great sober night, we had such a laugh and I have come home feeling happy, relaxed.. and I must say very proud of myself.. and my friendship has just got stronger.

I am now on day 42 and feeling happy, more confident and more content. My daughter is proud of me and says she loves being around me know, my ex boyfriend may not be an ex for much longer (he really didn't like me when I drank) and I don't have to work for 4 full days.... Life is good xxx

Just wanted to share really xx night night all xx
Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have a great weekend.
Sounds like life's looking up .
John.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is awesome. I am still not at that point where I feel I can be around alcohol.. but you sound very strong.. stoked for you.. glad you had fun..
Old 06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Spinach, yes things do seem to be starting to get on a more even keel, thank you x Thanks Amy, the support on here has been great x

Yogagirl, I am not sure that I am all that strong really, I just had the light bulb moment where I realised that there is nothing I can do about the fact that I can not have just 'one drink' so I just don't have it, it was like giving up a battle that I had been fighting for years and was such a relief to just admit it to myself. That doesn't mean I dont think about drinking, or occasionally really want it though. Just that now when I do, I remember that I can't - a bit like a person with a nut allergy can't eat nuts.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TimeToGetALife View Post
I remember that I can't - a bit like a person with a nut allergy can't eat nuts.
Exactly...I have a guy in my homegroup that says about his allergy...Everytime I have a drink...I breakout in handcuffs.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Exactly...I have a guy in my homegroup that says about his allergy...Everytime I have a drink...I breakout in handcuffs.
hahaha love that quote x (wish I had the same light bulb moment about food.. I still can't seem to stop eating LOL.. still have changed the cake to fruit, so at least I am getting my five a day!)
Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not only is it possible to have sober fun while out with friends, it's possible to have fun just hanging out at home too. I used to feel like a complete loser if I didn't have plans for the weekend, and often made up for that by drinking/toking by myself. Nowadays, hanging out by myself can be just fine.