Notices

Day one for me.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one for me.

Hi everyone,
My day one today :-)

I have read a lot here and realise I need some sort of program to keep me focused and strong. I have arranged to talk to a telephone counsellor 2x a week, and am planning to take up exercise in a few days when I feel physically strong enough. Also will be reading on here A LOT! I would be really grateful for more suggestions about what I can add to my program?

I'm so pleased to have found this board! I read a forum post in the relationships section about "obsessive relational progression" and it was one of the most jaw dropping moments in my life as it described me so perfectly. I get so obsessive (dangerously so) about my dating partners I physically feel I cannot survive a day just living with the obsessive thoughts that I had about them 24/7 (especially when apart)......... I drank (2 bottles of wine a day) to escape from the obsessive feelings.

I really don't want / can't go back to drinking. It has been 10 years and after multiple attempts to stop I really have reached my breaking point. So I'm determined to do it properly this time, commit to it and invest all my time and energy into doing positive things to help me see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for reading :-)

Joanne x
Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR needtobe...Glad to have you here...It's a great site for support. I use this site and AA to keep me sober...11 months now. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Do some reading and some posting...Find something you like and work it...There is a new life waiting for you...If you want it.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Joanne! I felt so much better when I found SR - I wasn't alone - everyone understood what I was going through. Congratulations on making the life-changing decision to stop drinking.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. We're a friendly bunch here. And you'll find the support you need - or at least some of it.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Joanne

Hang in there. The first week or so is tough - try to remember it's not going to stay that tough.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome needtobe

You'll find a lot of methods being practised here

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

good to have you with us
D
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Most welcome to the SR family. Day one opens the door to day two and on and on. Keep reading and posting and work a plan. My best to you.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I am reading a pretty good book that I would suggest: The Zen of Recovery.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here! I had a couple of relationships like that. Honestly, I think about them a lot as examples of "how not to live with booze". Cringe worthy, for sure! But you have so much growth and good times ahead of you! Day One is big, congratulations!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i love this forum. i read it on my phone throughout the day. its like my own little AA meeting. People here get it. I like AA too though. Try it all. I plan to!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtobe View Post
Hi everyone,
My day one today :-)

I have read a lot here and realise I need some sort of program to keep me focused and strong. I have arranged to talk to a telephone counsellor 2x a week, and am planning to take up exercise in a few days when I feel physically strong enough. Also will be reading on here A LOT! I would be really grateful for more suggestions about what I can add to my program?

I'm so pleased to have found this board! I read a forum post in the relationships section about "obsessive relational progression" and it was one of the most jaw dropping moments in my life as it described me so perfectly. I get so obsessive (dangerously so) about my dating partners I physically feel I cannot survive a day just living with the obsessive thoughts that I had about them 24/7 (especially when apart)......... I drank (2 bottles of wine a day) to escape from the obsessive feelings.

I really don't want / can't go back to drinking. It has been 10 years and after multiple attempts to stop I really have reached my breaking point. So I'm determined to do it properly this time, commit to it and invest all my time and energy into doing positive things to help me see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for reading :-)

Joanne x
Joanne,

Welcome, I am so happy for you that you have chosen the path toward life. It has been over 30 days for me with the oxycodone and opiates and I am so grateful to be clean.

You are in the right place and the people here are wonderful, smart, and caring.

Love and Blessings
Chrisy
Old 05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There certainly is light at the end of the tunnel. Welcome to a place of light. :ghug3
Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome needtobe!

I was an emotional wreck by the end of my drinking - things really do get better! Take it a day at a time and keep reading and posting!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your warm messages, really appreciated.

Day 2 for me now and I just feel emotionally wrecked! But I won't drink today. Am just going to keep reading on here and drawing strength from all the positivity. Thanks guys.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Joanne
I'm glad you're here and glad you're doing a bit of counseling and physical reconditioning.
I am going to AA (went through rehab etc...)
I think it's important to have the support of other alcoholic/addicts.
I heard this at a meeting the other day...
"So I figured out I was the problem - and I tried to fix myself, now what's wrong with THAT picture? A problem can't fix a problem!"
We all need as much outside support as we can get!
Good job on day 2 - for me it got worse - then a little easier
Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR needtobe.

Originally Posted by needtobe
Am just going to keep reading on here and drawing strength from all the positivity.
Great plan.

Originally Posted by lydiebreeze
"So I figured out I was the problem - and I tried to fix myself, now what's wrong with THAT picture? A problem can't fix a problem!"
So true. I had to turn myself into the solution to put the fix on the problem.