Notices

First post Day 3

Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First post Day 3

Hello..signed up last night after finding your site, have read quite a bit and relieved at knowing so many others are experiencing all the ills that I am and that it does get better.

I grew up in a family where casual drinking was the norm, the off to college where party all the time was the mantra. tapered off for years after that, but started drinking more with kids, work stress, denial, etc. The past year or two I was easily drinking 6-10 beers a night and more on weekend days. Over the weekend had some encounters with my wife and some bad nights of little or no sleep, so went cold Turkey Monday. First time I've ever attempted quitting in my 42 year old life.

Yesterday I had a panic attack at work and was taken to the ER by a co-worker. All my vitals were good, liver and kidney function, etc...which was a relief as I keep having anxiety that something is wrong inside my body.

Keeps going up and down, I can't wait until th ups outweigh the downs
Old 05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Scott...Did you tell them at the ER what you were doing? Your drinking history and your plans for stopping?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome Scott...Did you tell them at the ER what you were doing? Your drinking history and your plans for stopping?
Yes...I told them I was a heavy drinker and had recently quit cold turkey.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They give you anything for detoxing?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang tough. You should have went to your Dr before you quit but now that you are on day 3-4 not sure it will matter. As everyone will tell you it gets so much better. I went to the ER with a panic attack as well. Thought I was having a heart attack. You are not alone and your decision to quit drinking is great. Hang tough big man!!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

They give you anything for detoxing?
While I was there they gave me thiamine and something to bring down my heart rate for an EKG. Also some potassium as my level was low. Other than that I guess all my bloodworm looked good. They did prescribe a prescription antacid as I was/had been having heartburn and discomfort both then and prior
Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's odd...Thought maybe they'd give you something for anxiety or withdrawals. Maybe something for sleep. I guess if you feel you need something you could talk to your doctor about it. I detoxed under medical supervision for 5 days....The first couple weeks were pretty up and down for me...It starts to even out...You're emotions will be all over the place...But that's normal...Lot of undoing to do.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's odd...Thought maybe they'd give you something for anxiety or withdrawals. Maybe something for sleep. I guess if you feel you need something you could talk to your doctor about it. I detoxed under medical supervision for 5 days....The first couple weeks were pretty up and down for me...It starts to even out...You're emotions will be all over the place...But that's normal...Lot of undoing to do.
I did actually sleep for almost 6 hours last night which hasn't happened without alcohol assist for a long time
Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Scott it gets soooooo much better, after the first week, then the first month. U can do it! Stick with it! Welcome
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Scott I had a lot of health anxiety too, and plenty of panic attacks, but it all gets a lot better with sobriety. Maybe talk to your doctor as well. Glad you're posting here x
Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Welcome Scott I had a lot of health anxiety too, and plenty of panic attacks, but it all gets a lot better with sobriety. Maybe talk to your doctor as well. Glad you're posting here x
I had health anxiety while I was still drinking too. Seems like every couple of weeks some little pain or twinge would start me dwelling that I have a brain tumor, or some other horrible disorder. drinking helped calm that to a certain extent but I hope someday I can not feel that and be sober at the same time
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I had health anxiety while I was still drinking too. Seems like every couple of weeks some little pain or twinge would start me dwelling that I have a brain tumor, or some other horrible disorder. drinking helped calm that to a certain extent but I hope someday I can not feel that and be sober at the same time
I went through that too. I think every alkie puts themself through that when they quit...I had every disease known to man...Till I got a check up and found out nothing was wrong with me except I wasn't drinking. I was fine...Brain tumor and all. Get a check up...Take it easy on yourself and don't drink today.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Drinking helped calm it for me too but the next day it'd be back with a vengeance! Once I got through the initial withdrawals it has got better day by day. And with help from a nice doctor who doesn't think I'm mad
Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Scott. You're amongst friends. I went to the E.R. at least 5 times for severe panic attacks....twice an ambulance was called to my house. I truly felt like I was having a heart attack. I was terrified. After I got sober the attacks stopped. Have not had one since the day after the 2011 Super Bowl. I will never forget that day.

Please know that as long as you are working on your sobriety, your body will be healing, and things WILL get better. You will have many more "ups" than downs.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you here, Scott. I know you'll find plenty of encouragement and hope here. We all understand what you're going through. It's good that you're taking action now, before further damage is done. You can do this!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Scott

Glad you went to the ER - I'm sure you got everything the Drs felt you required there

Many of us have that health anxiety - a good through check up with your own Dr - while scary, may help?

and keep off Dr Google...you'll only scare yourself

You'll find a lot of support here - good to have you with us

D
Old 05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Scott! I'm Day 3 too. I went through the anxiety on second day, and some tension. But overall, it's manageable. I hope the constipation ends soon though (TMI, y'all). Its a great group of folks here!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Welcome Scott from WI! I am LilyfromWI.

As far as brain tumor, I didn't have one of those, but I had MS, I had heart trouble, I had a thyroid cancerous tumor, I had back cancer, I had....I cannot remember what all I thought I had.

Yes, it gets better and better! Keep posting and welcome to the boards!

Lily
Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Scott,

Welcome to SR! You are doing just what you need to do...stay strong for you and your family!