Notices

Quitting a Million Times

Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting a Million Times

I quit drinking every Sunday, now for over 4 years. This past weekend was like having 2 Saturdays in a row, I stayed sober for one. I'm glad I didn't have 2 drunk Saturdays but I rarely drank 2 nights in a row anyway so it's no huge accomplishment.

I did discover one thing though, maybe it will help me this weekend? I stayed sober Sunday night (part of the holiday weekend) when everybody else was drunk around me. It was incredibly boring, not one ounce of excitement or fun, but my ears didn't fall off and nothing horrendous happened, it was actually pretty easy. I yawned a lot and went home early, but in all it was painless. What was I so afraid of?

Not drinking is really not that big a deal. Maybe we make it bigger than it has to be? I'm still reading up on AVRT, maybe I will get this eventually....even after 4 years of failure.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had 15 years, on and off, of weekly vows to stop drinking, and then starting again 2 or 4 days later Abby.

I eventually worked out what I had to do to make that happen, and I'm sure you will too.

If you've tried a million times, maybe the millionth and first time will be the time that sticks ?

D
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking is a big deal for alcoholics. Watch out for that line of thinking because that is the same voice that tells you one drink will be okay.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by AbbyAngel View Post
Not drinking is really not that big a deal. Maybe we make it bigger than it has to be? (
If I may presume, I think you may be saying this to bulster your confidence, a way to say, "Heck, I can do this." I can see the logic in that. But you've spent four years trying. Maybe it's bigger than you think.

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
Quitting drinking is a big deal for alcoholics.
I'm with Liz, on this. Quitting was a big deal for me. Huge. A miracle, actually. I hope if you succeed in not drinking, Abby, that you view it with some measure of gratitude, for many, many never make it.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you know what Mark Twain said?

Quitting is easy. I've done it a thousand times.
It pretty much sums up how you're feeling and most people, if not all, have probably felt that way.

If some want some links on AVRT drop me a PM and I'll send you stuff. While the detox may be a bit uncomfortable and you'll feel off-kilter for a time, it really doesn't have to be that hard and once you know AVRT you can go at this with all guns blazing, your confidence set at 100%. Lots of people knock it on the head and walk away.

AVRT also addresses the fact you felt miserable being around those drinkers.