Notices

Feeling Good - Too Good...

Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Good - Too Good...

So I'm on day 5 and I just had a GREAT DAY.
Was invited to the circus by a neighbor I didn't know - 3 other neighbors came - and it was FANTASTIC - and I was so happy to just, well, meet my neighbors.
So - I'm in a REALLY good mood.
This is a very bad place for me.
Gonna get to AA first thing in the morning...
Anyone else in trouble when they're HAPPY?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think any strong emotion was uncharted waters for me sober, lydie.
I was perhaps even a little more afraid of feeling happy because it was so unfamiliar to me by the end.

The more I deal with life sober the less these emotions were a problem for me.

As long as you remember that regardless of how you feel drinking is the worst choice you can make for yourself, you'll be fine

D
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't got into trouble...Yet. In 11 months. But I have seen more people go back out when things were going good....Than when things were going bad. I have to stay vigilant....My disease wants me dead.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Know exactly what you mean, but it's ok to have happy times and learn to celebrate your new sober life.
You are still vigilant, going to AA and watching out for complacency, but it doesn't all have to be doom and gloom.
You deserve to have great times, enjoy xxx
Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all - you're right - I do deserve to have some good times. As long as they don't turn into "what did I do last night?" times...
And they won't
Just ate a huge comfort meal and am going to bed...
Goodnight all
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah...We're not a glum lot...I have more fun now than I ever had when I was drinking..I can laugh at something because it is funny and not because I'm drunk. I'm not saying you can't have fun. But early on...It's a good idea to keep your emotions in check...Remember where one drink can take you...Day five I was still in detox. Hang in there...It get's better everyday.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, it is wonderful how life unfolds for us, once we make the decision to live. I am so grateful for being clean. I am finding too that my mind is soaking up knowledge again. If only I could sleep a normal 8 hour in one shot sleep?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im scared to get happy again. When things are crappy I vow to not drink. It lasts a day until the guilt goes away. Then my brain thinks "that wasnt so bad you arent really hurting anyone and you can control it this time" Id rather be miserable and sober than a "happy" loud obnoxious lying drunk.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
Im scared to get happy again. When things are crappy I vow to not drink. It lasts a day until the guilt goes away. Then my brain thinks "that wasnt so bad you arent really hurting anyone and you can control it this time" Id rather be miserable and sober than a "happy" loud obnoxious lying drunk.
I could be wrong...But I think it is more getting over confident...I have this beat...type feeling...Than getting happy. I think that's where people get in trouble. I can't ever forget where one drink will take me. That's a hell that I don't want to go back to.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you are here.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lydiebreeze, happy could definitely get me to drink. Of course, so could sad and middle of the road. Not to mention Summer/Winter/Spring/Fall. And pretty much everything else.

I think we justify most anything as a reason to drink, but actually, we drink because we are addicted.

Be careful if you have a thought that I will drink because......

And congrats on day 5!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

BobGT
You're right - I always found ANY REASON to drink. I guess what I really meant is that when I'm on a high (meaning fabulous mood) my defenses against that 1st drink are at their lowest - it's like I think I'm fine and can handle it - in the past it's been my biggest downfall - but no worries - I'm in quite a mood today! I didn't sleep at ALL last night - everyone at the meeting this morning was driving me nuts and my friend decided that sleeping until 1 was more important than rushing over here to entertain me!!!
I'm almost thinking that my higher power made me stay up all night so I wouldn't be so damn happy

Last edited by lydiebreeze; 05-31-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: bad word
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We have emotional extremes and these extremes distort reality.

When I let my emotions "run wild", either too good or too bad, I lose my sense of direction and become very uncomfortable.

I have to learn to live with my "good days" as much as I have to live with my "bad days".
My days are seldom as good or bad as I "think" they are if you get my drift.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

YES lydiebreeze! I am in more danger when I'm happy than any other time. I'm a generally happy person and I get that feeling like "I deserve it, life is good" soooooo glad you said that. I always hear about people self medicating, and believe me I've done that too, but yup, happy is the real danger