Notices

Totally Powerless!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally Powerless!

I went 3 days, was on Day 4 today. I knew today was going to be rough. Well, I got done with work (my hardest trigger...after work) and the "beast" was literally punching me in the face. I was so excited and happy to get home so I could have some drinks. It made me feel so great. 8 beers later, oh my. So, I say, I am totally powerless. What was your worst trigger and how did you pass it/manage it? I feel like a failure and I seriously don't know how I am going to get through the "after work" drinks!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your not powerless. That thinking will keep yourself drink again and again. When your triggers come up again find someone to talk about it or go to a recovery program.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually life for me started becoming easier when I admitted to myself how powerless I was when it came to alcohol... Before that, I'd quit for months, end up saying "**** it" and drinking my face off. Realising I was "powerless," made me realise just how many steps I need to take to ensure I will live a sober life. For me, I really need to remind myself all the time why I CAN'T drink. I have support with friends, who I never called in the past, who I now call and talk through with them about when I need a drink. They don't really get the 'drink' thing, but my triggers are usually stressful so I talk out my triggers.

All that you really need to do is find a different way to cope with whatever your triggers are. You need some support whether it be friends, or some sort of recovery program... I recommend both. You need to substitute these new ways, instead of drinking when life feels a little bit overwhelming.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I have to avoid all socializing with co-workers unfortunately. 5pm was always my weakest moment and I would be staring at the clock all day (with a couple pints at lunch to tide me over).
Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One of my worst triggers was the ride home friday night if i didn't have any plans, because i knew i could get good and toasted and i didn't think it would matter. I always thought day 4 is the hardest, and I think you have to really really want to be sober in order to pull it off, but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ready1 View Post
I knew today was going to be rough. Well, I got done with work (my hardest trigger...after work) and the "beast" was literally punching me in the face.
Get your baseball bat and knock it out! You have the power. Today I'm sure you are depressed and feel defeated. Know that you are not. Pick yourself up and begin again with a new attitude of strength. If you let it tell you it is more powerful, you will believe it. Plan for success as the only option.

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I always thought day 4 is the hardest, and I think you have to really really want to be sober in order to pull it off, but that's just my opinion.
I agree. I think my worst day was day 4, but I had a good plan in place which gave me confidence. Since then I have felt gradual improvement. 17 days now...

I wish you well Ready1
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i now find my mind wanders into thought when i see people getting excited for a drink as mine once did. When i drank this gave me great happiness (false trained state of mind) many days throughout the week, plus a type of bonding if you will with the other lads who also want to let the workday go completely.(more of a not alone feeling than bond) Now I'm looked at with silent praise and admiration, (mind created) Most of all i respect my body which is the greatest gift we can be given. To your question, I ate ice cream to curb the cravings and came here everyday for the 1st 6 months. I also made not drinking the number one priority in life. Still is after 2.5yrs Keep up the hard work Ready, It is possible
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit on April 21st. My triggers were always hearing the beast addictive thoughts wanting pleasure and trying to get me to drink for any old reason. I'm on to it now and it's losing it's power although it will always be there lurking. The Rational Recovery site "Crash Course" has been very beneficial.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's sounds like a joke but it's not - being awake was my trigger...I had a list a mile long of factors excuses and reasons to drink.

How did I manage not to drink? I made a commitment to try sobriety and I leant on the support I found here.

It was difficult of course - I think getting sober and staying that way was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...but it was far from impossible and I think it was easier than dealing with my drinking life.

I think the main thing I had to get past is - it's ok to crave...it's ok to feel uncomfortable...we think it's dreadful, and we can think it's like being smacked in the face...but it's really not....but we *fear* it will be

I was just not used to dealing with emotions and denying myself - drinking is pretty much instant self gratification...it's gonna take some work not to follow those old paths.

It's not fun by any means, especially in the beginning, but I think we're all a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for.

Every time you get through something like that the next time is easier, ready - you can do this

D
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me being successful in recovery meant changing my habits and following a plan for recovery. I use AA to stay sober. Instead of coming home to drink after work I suggest an AA meeting. If you choose not to use AA that is fine; but I strongly suggest you find a recovery method, commit to it, and follow through. Early recovery is hard and I needed the support that AA offerred to get me through the early days. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am powerless once I put any alcohol in my body.

What is getting me through is WANTING to be sober way more than I want to drink. I am spiritual as well. But I really have to think past the first drink and recall what has transpired EVERY SINGLE TIME I have drank. Maybe not the first, second or third time, but it always ends up the same: I am a hot mess having a panic attack and it is because of alcohol. I can't handle it.

It is just not fun anymore. It makes me miserable.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I am powerless once I put any alcohol in my body.
It is just not fun anymore. It makes me miserable.
I understand the powerless when you start drinking but your not powerless to put a ddrink in your mouth. It's hard because alcohol is everywhere but we not at powerless with are choices. No one is putting that drink in your mouth but your mind telling telling you need it. The mind is a powerful thing and it can be hard to control but if your not crazy then you can control it with practice.

Practice make perfect which is true with most people.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are correct. I made a decision each time I relapsed.

I just can't stop after one drink.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

powerless means "unable to change" in regard to what happens once you drink that first drink, not that you are powerless to do things NOT to take the first drink. It can be done. If anything, try AA to meet others in recovery and work the things that will stop you from taking that first drink--get to a meeting, talk to others, get phone numbers and talk through the first drink. You don't have to work the steps, although that is where the real relief and freedom are. Just talking to a voice, hanging with other sober people, all of that will help you to change your patterns of behavior before you drink.

Are you really ready to stay stopped? If you aren't, you probably won't stay stopped for long.

I wish you well,
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ready1 View Post
I went 3 days, was on Day 4 today. I knew today was going to be rough. Well, I got done with work (my hardest trigger...after work) and the "beast" was literally punching me in the face. I was so excited and happy to get home so I could have some drinks. It made me feel so great. 8 beers later, oh my. So, I say, I am totally powerless. What was your worst trigger and how did you pass it/manage it? I feel like a failure and I seriously don't know how I am going to get through the "after work" drinks!
I go to the gym right after work to silence the beast. If you aren't a member of a gym, go for a walk or a run. Usually physical exercise helps me get over the cravings.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA 12/12 p.23 "by going back in our own drinking histories, we could show that years before we realized it we were out of control, that our drinking even then was no mere habit, that is was indeed the beginning of a fatal progression. To the doubters we could say ""perhaps you're not alcoholic after all. Why don't you try some more controlled drinking, bearing in mind what we have told you about alcoholism?"" This attitude brought immediate and practical results"