Notices

First Post. I Quit.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post. I Quit.

Hello.

Just home from my doctor's office and I am quitting drinking. I'm having my last bottle of wine tonight then I'm saying good-bye. Tomorrow I will start a course of Naltrexone to deal with the cravings and a mild sedative at night to help me sleep normally again. AA starts on the weekend.

I'll be back tomorrow to check in. I look forward to talking to you all, and drawing from/being a part of the support in this community.

Thank you for being here. I can say truthfully that I look forward to nothing else more than I do to sobriety right now.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Just think about how much better you'd feel tomorrow if you poured that bottle out and started NOW, waking up fresh and clear headed in the morning!

Welcome, you found a great place
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR IChose; I'm glad your working with your Doctor and wish you the very best with your plan. Tomorrow always kept moving for me, but its great that you've also found a meeting in your area.

see you on the boards~~~~
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Have your last hurrah but please make sure that tomorrow does come. Maybe save some at the end and pour it out. Don't finish off the bottle but pour the last of it out. Better to say good bye to it with a symbolic "i'm done. I choose to be rid of you." than "well there there's no more to drink so i'm done." Anti-craving meds help (i'm on one) but there will be times where it gets intense. Build up a support network and never be afraid to use it. Having the courage to ask for help when you need it is one of the hardest things i had to learn but it's honestly saved my life. What good is a support network if you don't let it support you from time to time, lol? Welcome to SR and good luck.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'd pour out the wine too. Tonight would be a good time to start your sober life.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome IChoseLife

I'm glad you've found us and glad you've made a decision

I got to agree with Flutter though - I've had last hurrahs and they were never worth it.

It's your call of course, and I know it's scary to let go...but it's kinda like spending one more night with an abusive partner to me.

why not cut the cord now?

D
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good for you for making the decision to start your day 1 of the rest of your life. Good luck with tomorrow!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad you are here, IChoseLife! We will cheer you on in your quest for sobriety. Very good to hear that you are working with your doctor.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ichose. Please do check in tomorrow and you'll find arms wide open and ready to embrace and support you.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 05-29-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you.

Thank you for all your kind responses. I drank 4 glasses of wine this evening, said goodbye to my last glass and poured the final glass down the sink.

Off to bed. No sedative tonight, of course. I'll take one when I'm sober and in need of restorative sleep.

Long road ahead.

Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Originally Posted by IChoseLife View Post
Thank you for all your kind responses. I drank 4 glasses of wine this evening, said goodbye to my last glass and poured the final glass down the sink.

Off to bed. No sedative tonight, of course. I'll take one when I'm sober and in need of restorative sleep.

Long road ahead.

Tomorrow is a new day.
Congratulations IChoseLife, you have a long sober road ahead.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
So it goes

It may not seem it when you wake, and it may not seem it when you are suffering cravings in the next weeks, Ichoose, but sobriety will be the best decision you take

Welcome to SR, make sure your last glass is your last.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IChoseLife View Post

Long road ahead.

Tomorrow is a new day.
Welcome to SR! And glad to hear you poured the final glass down the sink. I did something similar a few days ago and today is Day 3 sober.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You're in the right place.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like Dee's comparison to an abusive partner because there were so many many similarities for me. Part of me craved being with her, but I knew that she would take me right to the end of my road and leave me with nothing. I was afraid to let her go, to be alone, to reject her once and for all. But I did, and that was when my life began again. Removing her and that obsession from my life told me that I really was a good person, and someone I should look after and take better care of. Even though I remember her and my feelings of guilt and shame, I never miss her.

Welcome to the SR team, and keep posting. It's good for you, and for us too.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

First Night: I'm checking in. Everything is going smooth so far. Took one tablet of Naltrexone and am not sure how to articulate this as I'm not sure what's coming from me and my own resolve, my own fatigue, and the drug itself. I have spent the evening quietly puttering about the house cooking and cleaning. Not manically cleaning, just calm puttering.

Again I am not sure if it's euphoria from making the decision and feeling so happy to get my evening back or if it's naltrexone. I haven't had a single nagging thought for a drink or a cigarette. But I'm not stupid. I know one is coming. I'm going to set myself up with coping strategies for when it does come though.

AA this weekend. I really hope this is the end of booze for me. I really want my life back. I want to be awake again. It feels so good.

More tomorrow. Sedative-time.

Night nights and thank you.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

If ya stopped drinking, the naltrexone is working already. Way to go! (it's what I've read on it's efficacy).

Congratulations!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! I love your username. I quit 16 days ago and I'm very happy I did. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR—congrats on your Day 1! That's the most important day of all, in my opinion!

That's great you aren't feeling any cravings. It's OK if they do come—perfectly natural and understandable. I had a lot at first, especially when tired or stressed or feeling intense emotion (including being happy or excited). I just tried to be aware of the urge, take a breath, and remind myself that they always pass. Usually in a matter of minutes if I turn my attention to something else.

You are going to be so, so, so incredibly glad you did this. I thought I was giving something up, but it turned out I was getting everything back. It's pretty incredible, this whole recovery deal.