Notices

Day 1-Struggling

Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1-Struggling

Well, I am sure this isn't an original thread but I could sure use tips and tricks to help me get through my first day of sobriety from alcohol. I have to get through the next week in order to start an outpatient program that I failed years ago but really liked, really not afraid of in-patient just trying one last time to do it out-patient. Found this website, read alot of others threads very inspiring.

I am a positive person, and should be doing paperwork for work but can't concentrate today. My son has been successful in beating drug abuse when he was a teenager, and doesn't believe me when I told him I was trying again. Kind of "yea right mom". Hard to swallow...but don't want to let him down.

Any advice helpful!:plzhelp
Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome! Do it for yourself, too :-). Hey Goldie, you might look at joining/posting in the Class of May thread. Lots of great folks in that thread all sharing the same thing.

Day 5 for me.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Crewisms! Funny I was just reading your reply to another thread for Dispatches. I will look at the Class of May thread as well. Day 5, very proud of you because Day 1 is biting big time. I remember my son calling me the same, and when he is mad at me still does..would like to reverse that name. I know I haven't been a bad mom, a good one for sure but still hard to know he thinks of in that way. So, how did you get through day 1?

Thanks again for the support!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Last Day One for me I went to ER and they helped with easing the DTs and checking on my physical condition, but that's just me. I needed the help and suppoert but I have been a heavy drinker for many years. Everyone is different but that medical support was essential in my case. Anyhoo, my best to you and your efforts.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I spent the first couple of days gathering as much information about alcohol, alcoholism, addiction, and recovery from addiction. It was during that search that I found SR. They have posted "stickies" at the top of the alcoholism forum:
Alcoholism - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Lot of good information about what you are going through and what to expect.

All I recall about my first day was how sick I was from the previous night and really didn't have to worry about getting through it sober...but day 2, that was a fight against constant thoughts about drinking. But by that point I had read about the addictive voice and knew it was my addiction trying to get me to cave.

I didn't. So the only tip I can offer is this--don't drink, no matter what. Recovery is plan you are going to put in place to to ensure that doesn't happen.

Blessed to be almost 21 months.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi...I'm in my second month and what helps me alot is knowing that any thought in my head that supports the use of alcohol is my addictive voice ..and not ME.....already I don't hear it as often. I simply recognize it and ignore it getting my mind on something else. Congratulation on your beginning.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice, well taken. Read some of the link..very helpful.

A bit nervous about physical withdrawls but I know I have gone a week cold turkey and didn't need to go to ER or have severe physical issues was at science camp with daughter..felt great after that week. Wish I would of not drank when we came back home years ago.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

We have today. Focus on the moment. Get done what needs to get done. Be gentle on yourself. If that little voice crops up, I usually tell it that I will entertain it tomorrow, then tomorrow becomes today and I tell it the same thing, keeping it at bay. I know to drink is to die a slow suicide and I refuse to go there again.

Stick around here! You can get through the week! Maybe find an AA meeting to attend?

Glad you are here!

Hugs,
Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Goldie,
You can do this. I got sober with the support of AA and this forum. I completely focused on getting sober listening to speakers online reading material on alcoholism, identifying with people. I never told my family, I am sure I would have got the same response that your son gave you. Great he got off the drugs by the way.

Now one year sober the family are certainly not skeptical. They are quite amazed that I have given up cigarettes and booze lost weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
I love this lifestyle I am so free.
You can do this.
Love
carol