Notices

Hi

Old 05-28-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I have been drinking since I was a teenager...about 25 years. For most of those years I didn't abuse that, however for nearly 5 years now I have used alcohol more and more to escape any negative emotions I might be harboring ~ about myself or others. I live in a family/relationship where drinking is socially the norm. Beer is always available in the fridge. Wine is often served at dinner, before dinner and in between.

What has me here today is the frequency and amount I have been consuming. I actually looked up the term functional insanity and it brought me to the definition of a functional alcoholic; which up until the last few months I probably was. Someone who drank several (at least 2 but usually 5 or more) servings of alcohol a day, to lately, someone drinking enough to loose gaps of memory from the day or night before & doing things like getting mad and driving under the influence to leave the confrontation I either started or made into a bigger problem by being drunk. I am a mom to two teenagers 18 & 16 years old who scold me for doing un -mom like things under the influence. Even though they know our family is always drinking something, they are telling me hey, you have a problem and need to stop.

That is why I am here. I can't have one drink and be satisfied any longer. I know if I quit, I must do it completely, as it tends to be all or nothing anyway. I am sure that my story is like most of yours, a drinking habit out of control and causing trouble in your life in some shape or form. I hope to stay sober if at all possible and find other ways to channel my inner storm than medicating the problems. I'm glad I found this forum or it found me...
Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Freqfly; welcome to SR, its great to have you here :-)

Sounds like you've found the right place. Continue to check out the forums, and the chatroom, I'm sure you will find the information you're looking for~~~

See you on the boards~~~~~
Old 05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey! So great of you to check this place out... It's fabulous. Have you told the people in your family of your decision to quit? Perhaps they might make it a lot easier on you with some support?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you attending AA meetings ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Frequent Flyer

You'll find a lot of support here - and a lot of methods at play - some use AA, others SMART, or Rational Recovery, LifeRing, SOS...

some like me just use SR - the community here really helped me turn my life around after 20 years of drinking

good to have you with us.

D
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome FF!

I started off drinking socially, too, but wound up using alcohol to deal with the negative stuff in my life (mainly the stuff inbetween my ears!). Of course, a lot of that negative stuff was actually the byproduct of drinking so it just became a vicious, downward spiral.

Glad you're reaching out today - the support here has been a lifesaver for me!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Frequentflyer!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This is a great place for support, and it's a big step that you've reached out to others.

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer View Post
I hope to stay sober if at all possible and find other ways to channel my inner storm than medicating the problems.
It is completely possible, and while anger is a normal emotion, my bet is that those storms will at least start to subside once you break the cycle of drinking-hangover-drinking. I know mine did.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

to SR, FrequentFlyer, I'm glad you found this place. The people here are wonderful and full of so much information. I've learned so much here and SR is pretty much the reason I'm sober today. Hope you stick around!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FF- this post hit me really hard- in a good way. you're right where you need to be- hope to see you around the forum
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I've been hanging around here for just over a week, and it's been a sanity saver. We're turning our lives around and need all the support we can get.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome FF,

You've opened the door to a better life.

Glad to have ou with us
Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.