Notices

Day 2- Questioning Myself- Why?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2- Questioning Myself- Why?

Day 2 of no beer. I have a habit of drinking almost 12 a day. I can get through Day 1 but on Day 2 I always question myself. Am I really ready? Can I beat the craving? Why me?

I woke up this morning feeling great- so refreshed, not hungover! I guess I need to keep on reminding myself about the great feelings I have being sober and also reminding myself how crappy I feel after drinking. The rest of the day is depressing.

What can I do to keep myself busy? I got a feeling of overwhelming happiness when I drink and all my stressful thoughts/problems went away for a couple of hours. However, the effects the rest of the day weren't so happy. Will this ever go away for me?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a vicious cycle we going through.We feel so awful so we quit for a day or whatever and then we feel good so we think "let's drink again".
It's like banging your head against a brick wall and then doing it again when our heads feel better.Wow do we have brain damage or what to do that to ourselves,me included.
Why can't we just get it and never drink alcohol again that makes us feel so bad physically and mentally!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me too. I made 7 weeks until Friday. It got better and easier with time, until I let some complete idiot upset me at work and drowned my sorrows. I regret it bitterly and can't wait to get some sober time under my belt again. The first few weeks are horrible. Just take it 1 day at a time. We'll do it together. Yes, I think it helps to keep busy. Find things you enjoy and do them lots. Treat yourself to little luxuries. Keep reading and posting here. We can do this xxx
Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been struggling too. I can only tell you what I've done today to try to stop myself getting drunk again. Firstly, when I woke up I read the Daily Reflections book of AA and said a prayer. Then at lunchtime I met another alcoholic and we talked together. Because I thought I might be tempted to have a beer at about 4pm, I called someone else and talked through that situation. Then I made sure I had lots of nice fresh juice to drink. Then I headed off to a meeting of AA. I know that might sound like a lot of hard work and in a way it is. But in fact it allowed me to have a productive day without storing up a hangover for tomorrow or wasting a lot of money or causing grief to my family and employer. This stuff works.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't let the "feel good" "I am fine" attitude get the best of me. I ate some breakfast-forced myself to eat instead of drink. The craving has passed. Made plans with my mom to go shopping and then out to dinner with both parents tonight. I am starting to realize I can get through Day 2.

Jeni 22- What do you do after work, especially after a stressful day/when idiots upset you? I go back to work on Tuesday and I hope I can keep myself busy after a stressful day minus beer. This day will be hard.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ready1!

It really does become a vicious cycle, like everyone's said..... It get worse over time too, harder to quit and harder to get through the first part of the day. I think getting support here is a great start!

The cravings can be tough at first, but they don't last forever. Sometimes I just focused on staying sober for another 10 minutes or hour, and would find that the craving was gone by the end of that time. Eating helps, too, because when our blood sugar drops, it feels like we want a drink (alcohol has a lot of sugar in it).

Keep reading and posting, and just work on today......
Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi ready1.
I think my problem is I dont do anything after work. I'm up at 5 in the morning and don't get home much before 7pm. My job is physically and mentally stressful, and by the time I get in, cook the dinner, sort out the rest of the chores, it can be 8.30 and I'm exhausted.
I really used to think that drink helped me relax in the evenings. Obviously that is as far from the truth as is possible!!
I haven't really found a replacement and I think that really doesnt help. I go to AA meetings which are great but apart from that nothing.
Perhaps I need to invest some time in finding a better balance?!x
Old 05-27-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ready1 View Post
I can't let the "feel good" "I am fine" attitude get the best of me. I ate some breakfast-forced myself to eat instead of drink. The craving has passed. Made plans with my mom to go shopping and then out to dinner with both parents tonight. I am starting to realize I can get through Day 2.

Jeni 22- What do you do after work, especially after a stressful day/when idiots upset you? I go back to work on Tuesday and I hope I can keep myself busy after a stressful day minus beer. This day will be hard.
Have you tried an AA meeting? How about cleaning/reorganizing a room in your house, taking a book to a coffee shop, do something that you never had the energy to do when you've had 12 beers

You CAN get through day 2! You are worth it
Old 05-27-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really want to start AA- I want/need to find a sponsor/a social group to talk to that knows what I am going through just to help me through. However, I am afraid to go to AA because I am scared I might see someone I know. I live in a small town.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Ready1,

I think the early days are tough. You don't experience the physical benefits, and you haven't got a feeling of momentum of sobriety. I think you almost need to just have 'faith' that it will be worth it.

Hang in there.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I felt exactly the same. I was terrified of going to a meeting, but it was absolutely brilliant. Everyone was so caring and friendly. I go to one regularly that is 5 minutes from home and I've never met anyone there in the past 7 weeks that I know.
Even if you did, they are there for the same reason as you!
I love AA meetings, give it a shot xx
Old 05-27-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
I felt exactly the same. I was terrified of going to a meeting, but it was absolutely brilliant. Everyone was so caring and friendly. I go to one regularly that is 5 minutes from home and I've never met anyone there in the past 7 weeks that I know.
Even if you did, they are there for the same reason as you!
I love AA meetings, give it a shot xx
I echo what Jeni said....I was afraid too & I did run into someone I knew and you know what, they have become a great source of support for me

Another great thing is, you can just go in & listen. You don't have to introduce yourself or share unless you want to. It is a great place of support