Notices

1 Month Sober!

Old 05-26-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Month Sober!

Well, today is 1 month for me, depending on how you count it. Last time I got drunk was the night of 4/26, got home at 4 AM and did some pretty stupid things, then the next morning I woke up still drunk. When that wore off I suffered through an afternoon of pounding headache / lying in bed with head under pillow.

But I can seriously say it's been so critical for me to be sober over the last month. I'm going through some incredibly stressful times, my business was ravaged by two successive ponzi schemes / frauds, I'm going through a brutal divorce and last weekend I received a notice that I'm being audited by the IRS. Amazingly, I've been largely levelheaded through the last month whereas I think if I was drinking I'd be losing my mind. Anxiety is definitely one thing I've noticed is much reduced when booze is out of my life.

Another good thing is I've lost another 5 lbs or so since I stopped drinking. It's been my goal for a while to get to below 10% body fat, and I was at about 14% before I stopped drinking. Now I'm around 11%, and another 5 to 7 lbs would bring me to where I want to be.

And the general productivity level has really increased. Unfortunately I've had to dedicate this Memorial Day weekend to preparing for the tax audit, but I was really productive today and got a huge amount done. Of course, if I'd been ravaged by a hangover or drawn to heading out to a pub tonight or bringing home beer to drink at home that would have put a lid on that.

So positives all around. And thanks to everyone on this board, it's great to hear how everyone else is doing.

I will say though, I almost take it personally when I hear someone relapses. I feel like "come ON -- we're doing this together and you can't do that! We've got to achieve this and we're all in the same boat." Of course different people are in much different circumstances and many have it much worse than me so that's not a fair standard to hold people too but nonetheless that's my reaction in my mind.

Carry on, ye SRers...
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Congrats on your Month 1! I remember my First 30 Days. It was the longest one of my life. I told my husband that and he rolled his eyes at me and said "well yeah! You've been awake!" Lol. Amazing what you can do when you're not drunk or hungover. Good luck with all the stuff you've got going on with your life. I'm glad you're able to deal with them sober.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Rory
Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done dude! Congratulations! And, way cool name...Blueprint is one of my favourite albums of all time

It's morning over here, which makes you officially one month and one day haha!

Still
xx
Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, stillsleeping -- I just love his music, great guitar. And unfortunately he was haunted by the alcohol demon -- in my mind he and John Bonham were two of the greatest and they both died from booze. Throw in Bon Scott and you'd have a pretty good, albeit well pickled, rock band.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ugh, Amy...that was so horrible to watch over here. Like televising a slow suicide.

How about Bon Scott? Man, I love that boy. What a sweetheart.

So, it's a sober Sunday mornin! V hard not to drink yesterday in my hard partyin town, and me an H survived our first sober BBQ. Actually it's churlish to say survived...it rocked and we loved it Now for a workout and a run...

Still
xxx
Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Nice job on 30 days, Rory! Way to go.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha -- ya, somehow I couldn't imagine Amy Winehouse with Bonham and Rory Gallagher so I edited my post to add Bon Scott instead. So sad that such great talents died young from booze.

Glad you're enjoying a sober Sunday, stillsleeping! I'm looking forward to waking up to one tomorrow too.

Thanks for the message, FP! The Class of May boaters are a great group. How is your two-front battle with cigs and booze going -- keep the faith and stand strong.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by RoryGallagher View Post
Thanks for the message, FP! The Class of May boaters are a great group. How is your two-front battle with cigs and booze going -- keep the faith and stand strong.
Hey, Rory, thanks for asking. Hanging tough on this early booze-free Day 15. Wanted at least two fully sober weekends before resuming the 2-fer quit. Looking at today to throw down the butts.

Glad sobriety is keeping you on your game in your times of heavy stress. Hope work and personal life improve for you, May boater buddy.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alright, FP, sounds like you've got a solid gameplan there. Look forward to following your updates on SR and hearing how things go -- we've got to make this together!

And thanks very much for the thoughts on the issues I'm contending with. The May boat continues along with all of us on board -- we've got to keep a firm hand on the rudder and keep it headed in the right direction!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on one month Rory

D
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

eurgh, tax audit

Bloody good job staying sober Rory! Way to go on keeping it all positive through all that, you deserve a freaking medal!

Congratulations on a month!!!! xx
Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree...That's a lot to go through without picking up...Congrats to you on one month Rory!....That's awesome!...Hang on to it!!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on one month! I love your positive post!! Keep moving forward!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic accomplishment. Way to go!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Great job! Keep up the good work, you are inspiring with having such a hard time lately, and staying sober.

roosta
Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on the one month!!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You really are an inspiration....way to go!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, everyone -- means a lot to hear all your supportive comments. Walking to the grocery store this AM I was reflecting on how nice it is to be up and about in the morning and feel completely normal (ie, not suffering on a weekend morning or reflecting on crazy/ridiculous antics from the night before). Kinda dampens the difference between weekends and weekdays -- although not in a bad way certainly.

Once I pull through to the other side of all these negative stressors -- which hopefully will be happening by late summer -- I'm looking forward to developing a rich life of sobriety with social/cultural/athletic activities and community involvement replacing aimless drunkeness.

BTW, another benefit of not drinking of course is the money you save. Bars, according to a friend who consults for alcohol companies, are "cash cows" and of course restaurants charge out the wazoo for alcohol. So many events such as ballgames, comedy shows, etc make a significant amount of their revenue from way overpriced beer/booze. Cut that out and it directly impacts your wallet.