Notices

We are everywhere!!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

We are everywhere!!

I am a special education para at a high school and work closely with 6 other paras. We are like family. I knew 2 of them are sober, and I have learned this week that these 2 were in AA and went to my home meetings, although neither has gone in about a year. I have been talking to them about me going and they have both said they'd like to go back to meetings with me. Who would have thunk I'd have found daily support like this during my work day! One lady I am very close to and it will be nice when school starts in the fall to know that these two sober ladies are with me all day.

Small world.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, this is a good idea for a thread: surprising places recovered people turn up!

When i was just 10 days sober, i had to to fly on a plane to visit family. I was apprehensive about getting through without drinking. The person sitting next to me on the flight, turned out to be in recovery!

What were the chances?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I wait tables at the same place for the past 14 years and I have seen regulars in meetings. Also have seen contemporaries of my parents. Turns out the family I have been sitting with weekly at my synagogue are al-anon members with a 30 year sober recovering father. Crazy.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never been to AA and have considered it just because I'm sure, living in a small town, I would see people that I'd never dream of seeing there... and that would give me some hope. However, have only considered it now as a realistic possibility -- I use to think I was the crazy person, I've never seen anyone be like me when they're drinking.

I just can't fathom, walking into my first meeting. I'm 30, but look like I'm 12 -- I'm sure I'd look like this scared little girl to everyone. I went to detox once and this was the reaction I got, a bunch of pat's on the head and "you'll be fine." It made it easier to drink the next time. Now I know I should be there -- people don't get DUI's and assault charges from incidents they don't remember because they're "fine." I'd like to go to AA, but the thought of going alone deters me. Any advice?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You will know

when you are ready!...you will know when its right for you! the serenity prayer helps me when I am nervous about finding the courage to do something new or take a new step in a positive direction.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I went to a meeting ind rand into a gal from my grocery deli and my butcher's deli. I don't know many people in my village so just meeting these random people reminded my how small this world really is.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by EXM6 View Post
I've never been to AA and have considered it just because I'm sure, living in a small town, I would see people that I'd never dream of seeing there... and that would give me some hope. However, have only considered it now as a realistic possibility -- I use to think I was the crazy person, I've never seen anyone be like me when they're drinking.

I just can't fathom, walking into my first meeting. I'm 30, but look like I'm 12 -- I'm sure I'd look like this scared little girl to everyone. I went to detox once and this was the reaction I got, a bunch of pat's on the head and "you'll be fine." It made it easier to drink the next time. Now I know I should be there -- people don't get DUI's and assault charges from incidents they don't remember because they're "fine." I'd like to go to AA, but the thought of going alone deters me. Any advice?
I don't have any great advise. For me it is very easy to walk into new situations...they don't worry me too much. Just know that everyone in that meeting had to walk into the room for the first time. I have cried many times in meetings and no one stares or thinks anything of it. Most of the people are so warm and caring and welcoming. These people want you to be there...they want to see you recover and it helps them in their recovery. I hope you try a meeting...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Last August I ran into my paraprofessional at a meeting. She had 25 years in August. We had a fabulous school year the year we worked together 17 years ago, although at that time neither one of us knew that we were both in the AA program at the time! She was on her 8th year, I was coming up on 3 (then I relapsed). I do remember going home and telling my (ex) husband that I thought she was in the program (of course he'd tell me I was crazy, but that's another story). Maybe my life would have been different if we had known back then, maybe not. It was a great thing to run into her!

I run into people ALL of the time in the rooms of AA. I think it's wonderful!

I hope your summer is wackulously wonderful! I also wish you a beautiful school year!
(wackulously has nothing to do with being wacky, it's just a really great feeling!)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd like to go to AA, but the thought of going alone deters me. Any advice?
See if you can find something here that is close to where you live...Call them up...Tell them you are new and would like someone to take you to a meeting...They'll do it. I'd come get you myself if I could.

Ontario AA - Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd like to go to AA, but the thought of going alone deters me. Any advice?
I'm near Windsor, what part of the Province are you in? Call the AA number in the phone book to talk to someone in person.
Every AA that I know had a hard time getting through that door the first time... and everyone I know felt right at home in short order.

All the best.

Bob R.