Notices

alcoholic voice kicking in

Old 05-24-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcoholic voice kicking in

My alcoholic mind is going full force right now.

- it's nice outside (how are you going to make it all summer without drinking)
- long weekend coming up (lets start the weekend early and you can drink all weekend, no work to worry about)
- my boss is not going to be in the office tomorrow (so you can call out or be there and no one will know your hungover)
- I'm feeling good because I haven't drank since Sat (it's not that bad, see you can always quit for a few days)
- going to work function in a bit where there will be alcohol (you should have at least one drink to feel sociable)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tell that voice I said shut the hell up because it clearly doesn't know what it's talking about.

It's nice outside and it will continue to be all summer -- think of how much harder it is to participate in activities being smashed or hungover.

Long weekend that you can enjoy... Imagine, a whole three days of relaxation without feeling like an ass... What a gift!

Your boss won't be there tomorrow but YOU will. Sure you can get away with slacking off a bit, but if you drink you'll probably use all your slacking time to think about how you probably shouldn't have decided to drink.

It's great that you're feeling good! You haven't drank since Saturday and you should feel immensely proud of that feat... Now think how you'll feel when you make it to the next Saturday and the Saturday after that.

Going to a work function with alcohol but deciding not to drink... Just think, you WON'T be the person people are talking about with other co-workers or their spouses because you were laughing just that little bit too loud or talking just that little bit too much... Even better so, you're guaranteeing you won't say anything stupid at all!! It's great to be sociable, just as yourself.

Tell that voice to SHUSH cause you're doing fabulous!
  # 3 (permalink)  

Focus on right now - not all summer. You can make those decisions later. Right now you're responsible for today, this moment, this hour, and you know what your decision is - to not drink.

Why did you stop in the first place? Revisit the pain that it has caused you.

Can you go to a meeting?

Check in with our May group too. I'm glad you posted this and I know you'll get good feedback. Wish I had better advice but I'm so new to this too. ((BrdLvr))
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tell it to SHUT UP, you are not listening to it, and move on!
Have a good sober week end and feel good about yourself on Monday!

Jim
Old 05-24-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I know the feeling... Have dealt the last two nights with it.

I hear in your post something.... Even typing it out can be a way of giving it energy. Please stay strong this weekend.

Try writing what you want to do with your other voice. Give both sides equal time to be sure you have a plan for each point and counterpoint.

If we do not consider what being sober will be then the scales are not in our favor to start.

If I am wrong and you have this already figured out then good for you!

Be well.

Ken
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You should google AVRT. It may help with that stupid voice. It is hell to be stronger than yourself!! Hey I just made that up, pretty good huh?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey dude,

I wouldn't even tell it to shut up. That gets you into an argument. Just turn away, think somewhere else, just quietly and calmly think about better things. Plan your weekend. It's not a holiday over here and ALL my American friends here are boasting they've got it off. Buggers! So what are you going to do? Let's make plans!

And to anyone that knows me, yes I just recommended doing something quietly and calmly. Yes, I'm aware it's weird and ironic. But it works for AV darnit!

xx
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your quick responses. I did write counter points out (kinda like what ExM6 did).

I've got plans to go to a carnival tonight so will use that excuse why turning down a drink at work function. As for the rest - I've got to really stay in the moment - for now, this hour I'm not drinking. I'd be lying if I said that I expect the long weekend (heck any weekend) esp the start of summer, to be an easy one to get thru not drinking.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

You've been at SR since May 2006. Are you working AVRT? or another program of recovery?

go get busy, clean the bathroom, do a hobby, exercise. stop listening to your head!

You'll get through this if you are serious about not drinking and staying stopped!

Enjoy some ice cream....it's warm outside....
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Quitter

I hear you. That voice really worked me over the other day...but I survived.

Anyway...
Alcohol is not an essential vitamin or mineral. You'll survivor the summer without it like most of the worlds population does.

It's also possible to be a bit social without an alcoholic drink in hand. Somehow people manage to be social throughout most of the day without it and the work function is no different.

There is no reason to drink. You know it. You can do it.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sugarbear - Registered here in 2006 - but have yet to quit for more then a month (never stuck with quitting). Right now I'm attending aa meetings, reading recovery books, reading and trying to practice AVRT methods, prayer ( I know - I'm all over the place - but trying to find what works for me)
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made it thru the work function. Got a club side w lime. But my eyes were on the beers
Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your alcoholic voice is exactly the same as mine those r my exact thoughts!!!!! They are do hard 2 ignore I understand your feelings but look how well you have done just keep focussing!! The nice weather is the worst for me my body craves beer garden but jus get through the afternoon and you will feel proud of yourself at night and feel fabby the next day at work xx
Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brdlvr View Post
I made it thru the work function. Got a club side w lime. But my eyes were on the beers
Dont focus on the beers, focus on how you shut your AV down and proved that its you that doesnt want to drink regardless of what that voice does or says.

Think about right now - you're not disappointed in yourself, you're not hungover and you proved to yourself and everyone reading this thread that you are stronger than the voice and you should be proud of that.

The voice will come back but you've already defeated it once, and will do it again. It gets easier over time, you have done 30 days a few times, lets shoot for 90 this time and see how you feel and how often that voice is coming around.

You might be surprised and in the meantime I'll be rooting for you
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brdlvr View Post
Sugarbear - Registered here in 2006 - but have yet to quit for more then a month (never stuck with quitting). Right now I'm attending aa meetings, reading recovery books, reading and trying to practice AVRT methods, prayer ( I know - I'm all over the place - but trying to find what works for me)

Sounds like you are "involved" in quite a few things and "committed' to none.

AA's "How it Works" states that "half measures availed us nothing".

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi brdlvr

A lot of people latch onto the AV concept, but often miss the other side of the coin so to speak - the Beast, the AV - is powerless by itself...it needs you to give it power.

Without you it's just a crying infant...

let it cry - it'll stop on its own

stay strong

D
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
If you really want an effective way to deal with the Addictive Voice, you should read through the AVRT threads here, and also really delve into reading Rational Recovery:The New Cure. Embracing and applying these techniques can provide some very real relief from this battle you are experiencing. Consider the possibility that points/counterpoints are just not sustainable, amd exhausting. There is a better way
Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the helpful comments. I'm glad I didn't drink tonight. If I had, I would have no doubt ended up at the bar and still be drinking and felt like crap in the morning - at the least, I would have drank and been fighting the urge to drink more. Instead by not drinking I went to the carnival, had a great time - rode the rides, ate total junk food and coming home saw the most amazing sunset. So a good (sober) evening. Nite all
Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

When I continually detach from the AV the compulsion drink to is lifted. No longer do I have to battle with my mind as the thoughts and behaviors to pick-up that first drug has been removed. That's how the AVRT works for me. It can work for you too. I believe in your powers to be recovered, keep working it, it will happen .
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EXM6 View Post
Tell that voice I said shut the hell up because it clearly doesn't know what it's talking about.
To enter into a debate is to white knuckle since it suggests your abstinence is contingent on successfully arguing your case. As stillsleeping said, it's just not worth it.

Let's examine your Beast's warped logic and see how it will play both sides of the argument:

- it's nice outside (how are you going to make it all summer without drinking) If it was cold outside it it would tell you to have a drink to warm your bones or to cheer you up from the winter blues
- long weekend coming up (lets start the weekend early and you can drink all weekend, no work to worry about) If it was a normal weekend it would be saying the same thing—or it would tell you you need a drink to get through the week
- my boss is not going to be in the office tomorrow (so you can call out or be there and no one will know your hungover) Or you boss definitely will be there and you need a drink to get you through the day
- I'm feeling good because I haven't drank since Sat (it's not that bad, see you can always quit for a few days) If you'd got steaming drunk yesterday it would tell you you need hair of the dog to lessen the withdrawal or tell you that you can even make it a day without and therefore should just drink anyway
- going to work function in a bit where there will be alcohol (you should have at least one drink to feel sociable) If you were going to a function where there was no drink it would tell you you need one to get through it
Whichever way you cut it, regardless of the question a drink is always the answer. There's some good advice here: just objectify and and move on.

If you want some links on AVRT, send me a PM.