Notices

Two weeks today

Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks today

Today marks two weeks since I have been sober. The first week was not too bad, the second was much harder. The way I have dealt with stress ever since I was in my teens was to drink, and usually drink a lot. The next day I would feel bad, but my focus would be more on the drinking than whatever thing I was stressing about.

There has been a fair amount stuff going on this past week that has been stressful. I had such a strong urge to drink, but I don't have any alcohol in the house, and I used all my willpower not to go buy any. We were out of milk for 3 days because the dairy case at the grocery store is at the end of the wine aisle, and I just didn't think I could walk down it without putting a bottle in my cart (I did eventually get some milk, but I got only milk, so no cart to load up with wine).

My husband was the one who gave me the ultimatum that I had to stop drinking. Yet who is the source of most of my stress? He has really been a jerk this week, especially toward our 11 year old son, and it is really bothersome. I have been on the verge of saying "and you wonder why I want to drink all the time!?!?", but I know I can't blame him. I have actually been fairly rational about things when I talk to him about what is going on, and I am not sure he likes it very much! I guess he has to learn he to deal with a sober wife, who is stronger than the old drunk wife.

I have been reading this forum several times a day and it has really provided me with the strength and encouragement to remain sober. There are so many threads here that I completely identify with and could have written, and so much good advice given on this threads.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great to hear Bulldawger...I admire your strength...Congrats to you on two weeks sober!!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're doing so great. Your husband probably needs a little time to get used to the fact that you will be playing a stronger role now that you're not drinking; it will take time. Keep it up!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat. I get the feeling my wife thought I would be normal Duke after 2-3 days of not drinking. That is not the case. I took her with me a counseling session and my therapist explained the process I have to go through. She has been much more supportive but like any person has her bad days and I have to accept that as well. I have put her through a lot. Glad you are here, 2 weeks is actually my record so job well done.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your two weeks!! It can be a 'bumpy ride' at first but it does get better.:ghug3
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey hun, congratulations on two weeks! This place saved my bacon too - keep posting

Still
xx
Old 05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations bulldawger

Early recovery is hard on everyone - loved ones too - but you're definitely headed in the right direction...things will level out

D
Old 05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you! You'll go through many phases. Don't be disappointed if things seem at a standstill sometimes. You are healing and growing - getting to know yourself again. It all feels very raw in the beginning - but getting numb never helped resolve anything. Now we know that, we can face up to things without falling back on alcohol.

Wonderful job on 2 weeks sober! I remember your first day here - you sound so much better, even if you don't feel wonderful quite yet.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering

Well done! I felt lousy the second week - too tired to want to deal with anything. I feel so much better now, just three weeks later - not perfect but much improved. Keep going!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job on the two weeks.

How have you been able to stay sober? It sounds like you might be "white knuckling" it, which is going to be difficult long term. In order to stay sober I had to make changes in my behavior and attitudes, using will power not to drink didn't work long term. (AA ended up helping me).
Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks! It gets better as time goes on - things will level out. Take care.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I am so glad I found this place, it has provided me with an immeasurable amount of support.

Zebra, I am pretty much 'white knuckling' so far. I haven't found anything that I feel is right for me. I really should try to get to AA, but I don't believe in the whole higher power thing, so I am not sure it would really help. I have been seeing a counselor for the last 3 years, but seeing her has not helped with the drinking. She has helped me in so many other ways, mainly issues with my marriage, but I think I need to find someone know who can help me with sobriety.

Thanks again for all the support.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bulldawger I had to post because I was in the same shoes as you 5 months ago, I didn't want to go to a 12 step group because I didn't believe in a higher power. Do you believe that you are more powerful then the ocean? AA is a non-religious program. In other words it offers recovery to everyone despite their religious beliefs. Addiction left me spiritually bankrupt and the only way I've been able to redefine my spirituality is through the program. I know people that use the group as their higher power. No harm in trying a few meetings out and if you don't like it you don't have to go back
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Huge congrats on two weeks
I kinda had to put dear hubby on a shelf in early sobriety cause he was being an

I actually prayed for him for weeks cause someone told me to pray for those we need to forgive. That was hard.
Well I'm happy to say things are much better. He still can't find his underwear but oh well.
I white knuckled it for 2 months. Aa is changing my life.
Early sobriety had to be very selfish for me, I was in a life or death struggle.
2 weeks is huge:ghug3
Keep it up
Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Congrats keep it going. What will you do today to keep building your foundation to use in good and bad times?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done xx
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi Bulldawger, welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Bulldawger View Post
I haven't found anything that I feel is right for me. I really should try to get to AA, but I don't believe in the whole higher power thing, so I am not sure it would really help
I once had difficult with the whole Higher Power thing in AA. As a secular type, I thought the mystical spirituality of AA's 12-Step program wasn't for me. Then I came across people like myself that are agnostic/atheist and AA members. They have found how have lasting sobriety by working the 12-Step program. Below are some links to how they did it.
Originally Posted by Bulldawger View Post
Thank you everyone! I am so glad I found this place, it has provided me with an immeasurable amount of support.
SR is a great place for support and kinda recovery program in of it self, as some members have recovered from addiction by using SR as a main means for their sobriety. SR has helped me connect to some very inspiring people. That has been a huge help to me.

Keep up the progress to a life free from the influence of alcohol/drugs...you can do it!