Notices

Time to be wary?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to be wary?

Heard it said at my AA meeting on Monday that the time to be most on guard is when things are seemingly going very well for us. A guy who has 15 years sober told the group that in his early days he stood firm through all the tough times and but when he started to take it for granted and allowed himself to relax, that was the very time he relapsed.
I hope always to remember that. At the moment, I'm enjoying sobriety and this journey is scary but thrilling in equal measure. I regularly face tough times when around other alcoholics especially my husband who drank again last night (although he maintains he doesn't drink during the week?!). I can stand strong in the face of this.
But I'm only in my second month of sobriety. I must never forget how bad the alcohol made me feel. When things gradually settle, and am sure they will in time, I must remember to listen to those who have the wisdom and experience to guide me. I must never give this life away.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

My counselor once said to me "true recovery is shown when life brings us to our knees. Prepare for what you'll do when it does".
Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

True enough, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy your life. Over the years I've known lots of folks who take the "watch out when things get good" notion way too far. It's almost like they get scared and guilty when the good times come, always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The truth is that beyond a certain point where you're getting used to it, recovery is nothing more than LIFE, with all its ups and downs, good times and bad times. We get to experience all of them to the fullest. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes it isn't. In my own case I can honestly say that I have had much more pain since I quit drinking--and also, much more joy.

I hope you won't let your vow to "never relax" keep you from enjoying all that life has to offer.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I find that being self aware is the best defense. Throughout the day i check myself. How are my emotions? Am i content? If the answer is no then it's time to take a break and figure out what part of my life is out of balance. For me, contentment means i'm happy, not bored. Not mad, sad, irritated, stressed or too negative. Also not euphoric. If i'm too happy then my mania means my ego is way out of line and i am at risk of thinking i can handle a drink. I bring humility up, remind myself that one drink leads to too many, i am not happy drunk and i have no control over alcohol. It may sound depressing but bringing my mania down (heh, i am a bipolar on meds) brings me a feeling of stability. Keep yourself grounded and aware. Just like a person who's allergic to nuts never forgets their allergy, never forget your allergy to alcohol. Practice sobriety every day.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right on Jeni! That's a really great way to look at things! I'm in the same boat for sure. I find that I am slowly forgetting the "good" feeling alcohol would give me and just focusing on remembering all the "bad" feelings it would give me. Especially since as my addiction progressed it became about 90/10% bad to good ratio. Not worth it by any stretch of the imagination at all.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jeni I think it's important to be vigilant right now and work those steps...That will give you the tools you need for contented sobriety...To be able to take the good with the bad and not have to drink. I think what the guy is talking about is people get complacent when things are going well...Cutting down on meetings....Cutting back on prayer and meditatation...Service work....Basically just not working the program...I've seen it enough. I'm happier now than I've been in my life...I have real friends...I laugh...I enjoy things....But I'm just as much the alcoholic I was when I walked into AA. I'm one drink away from a disaster...Probably death for me....I can't forget that....What do I do?....I work my program one day at a time. And I enjoy life.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
My counselor once said to me "true recovery is shown when life brings us to our knees. Prepare for what you'll do when it does".
I'm curious what your counselor told you to do...How to prepare for that?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i found through experience that the BB is right for me. if i let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on my laurels, i am headed for trouble.even when life is going smooth, i must thank God for everything He has given me and everything He has taken away.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I had thoughts of drinking when things were really good in the past year, nothing I couldn't think through to the end. Stick with the program and do what is suggested, call people, reach out to others at meetings, create a sober network, do activities with those people, volunteer, do service work, read the literature. Just practice.

Stay in the moment, no need to concern yourself with what could happen. I know, easier said than done, but just today, I don't entertain the thoughts of drinking, if they come up.

Relax. Rely on your HP.

Hugs,
Old 05-23-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Heard it said at my AA meeting on Monday that the time to be most on guard is when things are seemingly going very well for us. A guy who has 15 years sober told the group that in his early days he stood firm through all the tough times and but when he started to take it for granted and allowed himself to relax, that was the very time he relapsed.
I hope always to remember that.
Jeni, you just keep going to your meetings and let the stories of the newcomers constantly remind you that nothing has changed out there.
Being there for the newcomers is very important for them and it keeps us grounded and "on the beam" too.

All the best.

Bob R